dark magician

Converting TS drum to disc brakes

202 posts in this topic

Since everything is gone, so need to ask again.

Assuming if I get the rear brake set from legacy/forester, do i need to get the similiar model's handbrake mechanism or any subaru model of the handbrake mechanism will be sufficient?

you will need the knuckle assembly from a car with the disks, be it an RS, WRX, or a Legacy. with the knuckle assembly, you can put on whichever rotors you want. for reference, H6 Legacy rotors are the biggest of the three and the wrx/rs rotors are the same size. they're all solid.

if you can get everything from a wrx, go for it. other than the knucles, you will need new parking brake cables off of an Impreza,

check you mech he should advise you accordingly...tell them NOT to cut the parking brake cables. you need them in tact.

as for the master cylinder, i see no reason to upgrade that to a wrx's if you're only doing rear discs. you'll get more of a noticeable brake improvement with ss lines, better fluid, and nice pads up front. these will also be a bit less of a pita to change out than the brake cylinder. most people that i've talked to jump straight for the sti's master cylinder anyway.

If I'm already driving a impreza, tat mean I can use back the parking brake cables irregardless of the type of brakes I'm installing?

Assuming I have the forester brakes set except the hand brake mechanism, must I get only the forester mechanism or any other subaru mechanism will do?

hmm anyone noes tt toyota estima brakes can fit on TS too? hee.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

hmm anyone noes tt toyota estima brakes can fit on TS too? hee.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

hahahaha....Other brand sure cannot fit. What about same brand but just different model

tink legacy, forester or wrx oso can fit hee.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

hahahaha....Other brand sure cannot fit. What about same brand but just different model

Yes, they all can be fitted on to the TS. icon_biggrin.gif

Any bros here can confirm? icon_biggrin.gif

I have a set of Legacy front disc brakes. I want to fit it up into my TS (so as to give me better braking power for my 17"). Does it require any additional/ other cables or wires?

I have a set of Legacy front disc brakes. I want to fit it up into my TS (so as to give me better braking power for my 17"). Does it require any additional/ other cables or wires?

Front brake doesnt require any convertion .. direct bolt on

Front brake doesnt require any convertion .. direct bolt on

Thanks. Just fit it up last night.

how much did the workshop charge u?

Any bros here can confirm? icon_biggrin.gif

yes.. am on frosty brake... only the rear need minor adjustment... but the workshop will do it for u...

Hope this help..

For TS, go get rex brake better. Get the same year of your car brake. The best is 4p n 2p. The braking system very good. So far i got no problem on my brake. Get a better brake pad if you want more braking power.

sbtyong wrote:

how much did the workshop charge u?

I did with with VisWorks Auto after installing my unichip. installation plus brake fluid cost RM130... that's about S$57+

IMHO, TS to fit with WRX brakes is overkill and will add weight.

Of cause 4p2p has a good braking effect... but for TS ride.... needed meh?

Below is the converted hp from PS (taken from MI website)

TS = 95ps (93.67hp)

WRX 2.5 = 230Pps (226.78hp)

Legacy 2.0R = 165ps (162.69hp)

Forester = 158hp (155.79hp)

Why do you need a 4p2p WRX brakes to stop a 93.67hp TS? or is a 2p1p Legacy brakes more than enough...

Of course this is subjective.... if you wanna lup turbo and upgrade engine on a TS... than maybe a 4p2p is a good mod...

else... if your TS just add on the more common mods (crank pulley... exos... extractor... piggyback ecu... blah blah blah...) a 2p1p is more than enough

What is the weight of stock 1.6i brakes?

What is the weight of stock wrx brakes (any difference between red/grey types)?

What is the weight of stock forestor brakes?

What is the weight of stock legacy brakes?

Anybody knows?

What is the weight of stock 1.6i brakes?

What is the weight of stock wrx brakes (any difference between red/grey types)?

What is the weight of stock forestor brakes?

What is the weight of stock legacy brakes?

Anybody knows?

good questions!

i have been trying to find the exact weight.... but very difficult.... i'm assuming logically that 4p2p brakes system (rotors, callipers, brake pads....etc) is heavier than 2p1p ones...

I got the impression that even 4p2p is lighter than stock 1.6i brakes...

Need someone to confirm

Not sure about the rest but for forester; the stock front is almost the same as the WRX 4p but the WRX rear 2p is heavier than forester stock rear due to the fact the rotor is ventilated instead of solid piece.

I got the impression that even 4p2p is lighter than stock 1.6i brakes...

Need someone to confirm

thats possible... because our rear drum disc brakes... heavy maybe?

any bros knows???

I tried lifting a drum brake setup and found it to be very heavy... I wonder if the rear disc brake setup will be lighter...

hwo abt during a subaru meet we weigh our brake set ups? ( bring weighing scale icon_razz.gif)