Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psychosid77

Turbo upgrade

37 posts in this topic

hi guys if i were to upgrade from my base rex to a td05-20g, what other upgrades do i need to do? any recommendations?

hi guys if i were to upgrade from my base rex to a td05-20g, what other upgrades do i need to do? any recommendations?

1stly, not looking down or anything...hw much $$ do you have, to dump in at any 1 go? Of course, u can do them bit by bit, bt one is related tothe other...and if you are targetting to use a 20G, then is time to get the parts needed to support it.

Already done that. I kena tear at the 3rd gear and that is with 300 whp on my car!!! He is untouchable! 1st and 2nd gear i still think i got chance, once we switch to 3rd, he pull away and i was like knn#$%^!!! i used 1.5 bar and what was zender at? 1.22 bar at that time??

With that 20G size turbine housing .... it's also come with bigger size internal wastegate .... at 3rd gear with rpm >4.5K that bigger size internal wastegate already at advantage over those smaller internal wastegate size turbo, even with lower boost setting ... those 20G turbo able to spool higher rate air flow due to bigger compressor size ... so it's not about the boost press .... it's all about more air flow. Bigger size internal wastegate able to bypass those excess exzos gas once u have reach the set boost pressure and keeping the extractor manifold and up-pipe pressure lower and thus making the engine breathe out easier and more fresh air can be pump in into the engine with the help of ur force induction turbo setup.

This backpress due to smaller internal wastegate size is always the constraint at higher rpm range.

Already done that. I kena tear at the 3rd gear and that is with 300 whp on my car!!! He is untouchable! 1st and 2nd gear i still think i got chance, once we switch to 3rd, he pull away and i was like knn#$%^!!! i used 1.5 bar and what was zender at? 1.22 bar at that time??

Are you using close ratios? The longer 3.9 ratios are more suited for drags.

1stly, not looking down or anything...hw much $$ do you have, to dump in at any 1 go? Of course, u can do them bit by bit, bt one is related tothe other...and if you are targetting to use a 20G, then is time to get the parts needed to support it.

...and it's not just the initial cost. It's the maintenance thereafter because things start breaking very quickly. icon_eek.gif

...and it's not just the initial cost. It's the maintenance thereafter because things start breaking very quickly. icon_eek.gif

Oh yes, very well agree with you, my brother!

Is it possible to bolt on a TD05-20G to a stock MY07 rex as the first mod? What will it do, will I feel any difference as opposed to my stock turbo now?

Hi,

Can you provide a list of things to change or add on for the TD05 20G please? I'm very keen to consider. Btw, did you do other mods like brakes, strut bars, sway bars, etc to strengthen the car body?

Tks

In my opinion, All the VF series are too small for the 2.5litre rex. The CFM is just too little for the extra 500cc engine. Besides cannot boost too high on the stock internals.

I would reckon minimum a TD05 20G. Low boost yet delivers the power that you will feel satisfied enough. I've Tried the TD05 16G which has a higher CFM than the VF34 and every tuner told me I'm wasting my money... True enough after 1 month of usage, I changed to a TD05 20G which till now I never once regretted it...icon_smile.gif

Is it possible to bolt on a TD05-20G to a stock MY07 rex as the first mod? What will it do, will I feel any difference as opposed to my stock turbo now?

NO.

first mod no. you need a lot of supporting mods to run properly.

fuel pump, injectors, ecu, etc.

Hmm... COmpare with stock TD04?? The 20G is coountless times better thou slightly lag but compensated by our 2.5engine. icon_smile.gif But of course with proper engine compliment mods, the 20G really deliver itself very well. You can tuned the 20G to linear or sudden surge:) My normal driving has linear delivery but when i floor my trottle, the sudden surge comes in. icon_twisted.gif

and WC ride is not just pretty done up but scarely done up.... icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Hi Zender,

What are the supporting mods required for the td05-20g?

May I know where you did it and how much. I like check out this option le. Very tempted icon_smile.gif

fmic is not determined by turbo size but by boost levels. The principle function of an intercooler is to dissipate heat generated by the compression of air in the turbo. Roughly, every 0.1 bar of boost will increase the air temp by 10 deg C.

But of course, small turbos generally fail when boosted over 1.1 bar. A good example would be the TD04. It performs very well but has a narrow performance range. Anything above 1.1 bar will not only heat up the compressed air so much that it actually causes pre-ignition (ping), the turbo will also go into choke, meaning that the fins are spinning above 160 000 rpm. At that speed, it is going too fast to suck in air effectively.

A 2.5L engine means that there is always 25% more air than a 2L engine. Therefore entering choke is also 25% faster.

A bigger turbo like what Zender recommended allows more air to flow without hinderance. To make the best out of it, the boost level should be around 1.4 to 1.5. The turbo is capable of even higher boost level, but the 2.5L engine won't be able to take that kind of power without failing.

It is entirely possible to use the 20G to boost at just 1 bar and therefore retain its stock TMIC. Under perfect conditions, 1 bar from a TD04 yields 360 cfm, while the 20G yields 600 cfm. So roughly, we are talking near 200% air flow of the stock turbo.

Hi,

You are very knowledgeable with cars icon_smile.gif

Do you have a write up on turbo, supporting mods, air flow, etc in this forum somewhere. Although there's a search function here but it's really difficult to find things here.

fmic is not determined by turbo size but by boost levels. The principle function of an intercooler is to dissipate heat generated by the compression of air in the turbo. Roughly, every 0.1 bar of boost will increase the air temp by 10 deg C.

But of course, small turbos generally fail when boosted over 1.1 bar. A good example would be the TD04. It performs very well but has a narrow performance range. Anything above 1.1 bar will not only heat up the compressed air so much that it actually causes pre-ignition (ping), the turbo will also go into choke, meaning that the fins are spinning above 160 000 rpm. At that speed, it is going too fast to suck in air effectively.

A 2.5L engine means that there is always 25% more air than a 2L engine. Therefore entering choke is also 25% faster.

A bigger turbo like what Zender recommended allows more air to flow without hinderance. To make the best out of it, the boost level should be around 1.4 to 1.5. The turbo is capable of even higher boost level, but the 2.5L engine won't be able to take that kind of power without failing.

It is entirely possible to use the 20G to boost at just 1 bar and therefore retain its stock TMIC. Under perfect conditions, 1 bar from a TD04 yields 360 cfm, while the 20G yields 600 cfm. So roughly, we are talking near 200% air flow of the stock turbo.

Ravenhil, i am looking at the cost factor to determine my amount of mod and whether can buy the TD05-20G or not.....BTW, mine is a 2.5 WRX06 model....let's say if i want to get a TD05-20G vs my current of TD04 stock but yet i do not wish to fully maximise the turbo range bec have to spend a large amount of supporting mods to it, in such a case, what is the minimum that i need to do in order to enjoy like a significant amount of performance gain from the TD0520G and yet do not need to burn a hole in my pocket to support the turbo?

Would doing the below be sufficient to complement the TD05?

1) Change exhaust to FGK (already done)

2) Open pod air filter (already done)

3) SARD Fuel regulator

3) Walboro Fuel pump (is this necessary together with fuel regulator)

4) ECU Reflash / Ecutek

How much do you think the above setup will be able to get out of the TD05 turbo and still be sufficient to still get the kick out of TD05 without other major mods? BTW, where can buy the TD0520G and roughly how much is it now?