rc forrester

MODS & UPGRADES: Exhaust Systems

324 posts in this topic

Catalystic Converters

Positive Effect :

Design for reducing unburnt hydrocarbon (Fuel) emmission to environment via catalytic combustion (chemical reactions).

Additonal muffling of ur engine (boxer) sound.

Negative Effect :

Create lots of back pressure (restrictions) of exzos gas flow out of ur engine thus reduce the turbo spooling.

Additional negative ... cause of high exzos temperature .... due to catalytic combustion produce lots of heats.

Older model of subaru .... MY02 to MY05 (FXT) have catalytic converter at the up-pipe .... new model MY06 onward only at the downpipe.

harlo. any bros here changed their exhaust for my06 or my07 2.5xt already? very curious on what aftermarket exhaust can MY06 onwards 2.5xt use?

cheers

harlo. any bros here changed their exhaust for my06 or my07 2.5xt already? very curious on what aftermarket exhaust can MY06 onwards 2.5xt use?

cheers

Currently still the same ol boring brands. HKS and supersprint.

Currently still the same ol boring brands. HKS and supersprint.

hmm, wats the model in particular? any advantages of using one over the other, im still torn between spending 1000+ to hav a legalised exhaust then tune or jus go decat for tuning

Hi Guys,

Would like to know more about MY04 Forester XT stock exhaust setup. Thanks in advance for your replies.

1. How many catalytic converters are there ? Up-pipe, down-pipe and mid-pipe ? I read from URL below that the so-call cat in mid-pipe of pre-2000 Forester is "empty shell on these models - with a 20 cent coin sized conical restrictor inside it".

Ref: http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/docs/modifyingagtforester.pdf

2. Are the pipes interchangeable with those from WRX 2.0 or 2.5 ? Saw a few WRX mid-pipes up for sale.

Chariot,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions icon_wink.gif

Cheers.

if once u decat..u can redo it again rite? pls pardon my noob question

Redo...not possible...need to reinstall the de-CAT part with new/2nd-hand ones... Cost less to de-CAT than to revert back to CATs in the exhaust system...

Hello guys,

There're now alot of exhaust available in the market.

1) Tanabe

2) Trust

3) Apexi

4) Fujitsubo

5) HKS

6) etc...

Which model and brand offers the best balance between cost, sound and power for Forester 2.0XT? icon_confused.gif

Pls share your view or experience the merits of each for learning.

Thanks!

Hello guys,

There're now alot of exhaust available in the market.

1) Tanabe

2) Trust

3) Apexi

4) Fujitsubo

5) HKS

6) etc...

Which model and brand offers the best balance between cost, sound and power for Forester 2.0XT? icon_confused.gif

Pls share your view or experience the merits of each for learning.

Thanks!

Only the hks silent-hi ,supersprint and the Apexi N1 evo can be used for now......i dun think the rest have been given the green light for our ride.

Personally,I prefer the hks sound but like the apexi looks icon_wink.gif

Serious ah? icon_eek.gif

I'm really surprised leh...

I thought that most of the exos would have been approved for FXT2.0 by now?

So in your opinion, does exhaust really gives more power and torque, or is it mainly for sound and beauty? Cos too much contradictions on this area...

Exos will only give you very minimal performance gain. Mostly for look and sound. Upgrade of Turbo will yield better return.

Which means that decision on which exos to buy should be based on the looks and sound.icon_smile.gif So besides troy17s' preference for HKS's sound track, anyone can advise which exos sound best in their personal opinion?

I prefer the sound of HKS but like the look of Apexi. I am on HKS now since I realised that I can't see the exos when I m driving...haha

trying to sell my HKS or swap for Apexi one.

Is there any difference in the internal design between HKS and Apexi ??

Is there any difference in the internal design between HKS and Apexi ??

dont know, have not looked at the apexi one. but i just want to try something new

dont know, have not looked at the apexi one. but i just want to try something new

ok u quite free to change this change that icon_smile.gif

Yah, what I heard was that HKS is only muffler, unlike FGK which is the whole thing after downpipe...

How come no one say anything about FGK?

It's 3" and HKS is 2.5" right?

Does the diameter matters?

Need to change extractor and downpipe as well to get full effect?

So much questions... sigh... icon_redface.gif

I prefer the sound of HKS but like the look of Apexi. I am on HKS now since I realised that I can't see the exos when I m driving...haha

Hahaha... Agree Bro...

Unless we install rear camera to look at the exos when driving. icon_biggrin.gif

So sound track is most crucial for exos...

I also personnally prefer a more macho sound icon_cool.gif (No, not to make up for my lack of it? icon_lol.gif ).

Heard some pp say that FGK actually sound bassier, but HKS sounds louder but a little more airy... (and FGK matt metal not as cool as HKS chrome but looks not so critical anymore...)

FGK is not approve for Forester. Only HKS and Apexi is approved for 2.5XT and 2.0XT can install SuperSprint too beside HKS and Apexi