Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CoupeKnight

Strong petrol smell ** STATUS UPDATE

27 posts in this topic

Any bro experience a strong petrol smell near the petrol tank area after driving for a while. I detected this smell when my car is parked. I have checked but they are no leakage whatsoever, any bro know why?

By the way, I am running on Caltex 95

decatted ur ride before or everything still stock? icon_lol.gif

Any bro experience a strong petrol smell near the petrol tank area after driving for a while. I detected this smell when my car is parked. I have checked but they are no leakage whatsoever, any bro know why?

By the way, I am running on Caltex 95

any spillage from the gas cap?

open the cover and see if there's any gas around the area.

I used to have this smell too. Went to a workshop and discovered that this is caused by "seal" of my fuel pump was not tightened properly and cracked.

They changed the seal the no more smell.

If you have changed your fuel pump before, this may be the cause too.

I used to have this smell too. Went to a workshop and discovered that this is caused by "seal" of my fuel pump was not tightened properly and cracked.

Well i went for servicing recently but didnt change fuel pump, car is stock no mods. Fuel tank is lesser than 1/4 full woh?

Well i went for servicing recently but didnt change fuel pump, car is stock no mods. Fuel tank is lesser than 1/4 full woh?

May be related to the smell, did you change your spark plugs?

if yes, what plugs you are using now? change back to stock & check again

I did the same as u but smell still there. The original seal also never break.

I had a similar problem a few months back and tried all the usual fixes but nothing worked. I could smell it around the fuel tank and the smell would get into the car. Would feel light headed after driving a while.

In the end my workshop found it but they had to drop the petrol tank out as there are some lines on top are not accessible through the fuel pump access hole.

I had a similar problem a few months back and tried all the usual fixes but nothing worked. I could smell it around the fuel tank and the smell would get into the car. Would feel light headed after driving a while.

In the end my workshop found it but they had to drop the petrol tank out as there are some lines on top are not accessible through the fuel pump access hole.

Brother so what was wrong? ur fuel tank leak? or some crack line on it?

From the looks of it, seems like I am not the only one with this problem?

in fact i noticed that the smell didnt come from the fuel lid, but under the tyre arch - petrol lid side. Strange leh....

There is a system in place that we should be aware of. Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) system. This system allows fuel vapor in the fuel tank to escape via the charcoal canister (the box located on the opposite side of the muffler) for emission control. When external pressure is greater than the pressure in the tank, nothing significant happens. When you are driving and warm fuel is returned from the engine (remember that's what the fuel pressure regulator do) or when you park your car under the hot sun and everything heats up, increasing pressure in the fuel tank is relieved via a valve and routes it into this canister.

ORVRschematic.jpg

MY06/07 WRX/STI ORVR

As you can see, one of the lines lead from the intake manifold to the canister. Any of these lines, valves or seals could be compromised if you detect fuel vapor in the cabin. It may not be the answer to your problems, but this is certainly something to consider. Check the fuel tank seal first. Then check systematically down the fuel route. It is not the most complicated system in the car, so it shouldn't be impossible to solve.

I have sent my ride to the workshop twice and they confirmed that fuel lines and the part of the fuel tank visible to them from the bottom of the car has no leakage. So they are now proposing, taking down the entire fuel tank to see if there is anything at the top....fainted! labor alone, they quoted me 280 liao!!! is that exp?

I have sent my ride to the workshop twice and they confirmed that fuel lines and the part of the fuel tank visible to them from the bottom of the car has no leakage. So they are now proposing, taking down the entire fuel tank to see if there is anything at the top....fainted! labor alone, they quoted me 280 liao!!! is that exp?

You just remind me something, ever come across someone who installed speakers in the boot & the long self tapping screw punch through the plastic tank..

if you just install any ICE recently, can check & focus on any screw on the ICE item in the boot.

Btw, earlier I asked about spark plug, as I learn from someone that if you spend $ & installed cold plug, you will smell unburn fuel at idle, not sure related but can be a reference.

mine cost $300+ and took 2 days. Its above the rear diff etc so lots work to get out and put back. For me we could see some marks where fuel had run down the side of tank so we knew roughly where it was. Make sure you get them to check all other possibilities first.

mine cost $300+ and took 2 days. Its above the rear diff etc so lots work to get out and put back. For me we could see some marks where fuel had run down the side of tank so we knew roughly where it was. Make sure you get them to check all other possibilities first.

OK my workshop said they found the cause, according to them it was a hairline crack on one of the 2 rubber feeder. One cost 50 bucks to replace....sian man. According to them, car may have to do alignment for camber as well.

so 200 for labour, 50 for 1 rubber feeder, and another 50 for alignment.. I suggest you might as well change both feeders in case the other one also crack?

so 200 for labour, 50 for 1 rubber feeder, and another 50 for alignment.. I suggest you might as well change both feeders in case the other one also crack?[/quote

Ya I am changing both feeders, just in case. So labour is 280, feeder for 2 is 100 and alighnment, dunno how much yet?

DO you guys think I can claim against MI, since in my case it is purely a manufacturer's fault as I have not modded any part of my fuel system other than the exos?

if u demod your ride to 100% stock then go back and let them trace the problem all over again before they decide to see if your can claim warranty, I think you pay your trusted workshop will save you lots and lots of time, money and saliva to fight for your warranty rights. End of day, they tell you, "its like that one"?

This is pure speculation from my part cos I never claim warranty with them before.. ;>

DO you guys think I can claim against Hagrid, since in my case it is purely a manufacturer's fault as I have not modded any part of my fuel system other than the exos?

Forget it... they will either somehow claim that the part is wear and tear and hence not under warranty (therefore you have to pay for the parts and their exorbitant labor charge) or make some silly claim that you added something to your ride, say your cash-card reader cover, and then void your warranty for the whole car.

Save the frustration and time. Do it elsewhere.

if u demod your ride to 100% stock then go back and let them trace the problem all over again before they decide to see if your can claim warranty, I think you pay your trusted workshop will save you lots and lots of time, money and saliva to fight for your warranty rights. End of day, they tell you, "its like that one"?

This is pure speculation from my part cos I never claim warranty with them before.. ;>

Nevermd loh, just try my luck, I have heard abt the "reputation" of MI concerning claims. But it is really disappointing loh......car only 2 years old leh, somemore this fault is putting my live at stake....baske*t! just like what my workshop told me,....'your car is a moving bomb man...any spark can cause an explosion!'Maybe I should publicize for them....see whether anyone still dare to buy their cars!

Forget it... they will either somehow claim that the part is wear and tear and hence not under warranty (therefore you have to pay for the parts and their exorbitant labor charge) or make some silly claim that you added something to your ride, say your cash-card reader cover, and then void your warranty for the whole car.

Save the frustration and time. Do it elsewhere.

Ya I have done it outside. Do u know how much MI quoted me for labour, 1 hour 56 bucks! Siao bo, if I put my car there for 2 days, how much would that amount to man!!

Bro CoupeKnight,

I'm another time bomb on the move for one month loh...I exprience the same exactly like your description.

I had it inspect at pro-scooby workshop and they found nothing leakage under the fuel tank when they jack up e car.

Nid your help to your workshop which can resolve the problem asap loh....

By the way, the petrol smell is esp strong when i'm at basement enclosed carpark....

When the car is sick, must quickly see doctor and take a few days MC....

As for hagrid warranty claim...? Hm...i void on the 1st day when collect the car loh...

Hi bros, i'm facing the problem too... mine is when i fill up full tank... right passenager will smell it... very strong... as i park the car... i can smell it coming out from the fuel cap area...

Hi bros, i'm facing the problem too... mine is when i fill up full tank... right passenager will smell it... very strong... as i park the car... i can smell it coming out from the fuel cap area...

Seriously I am beginning to suspect that this is a common defect for impreza....any other brothers experience the same problem. Bring it to the workshop to check, it will take 2 days to dismantle everything under the fuel tank to reach the 2 feeders I was talking abt.