RentaBass

Tire Review Thread (Strictly No TCSS!)

38 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've just had the idea to revive the old tire review thread, but will need the help of everyone to maintain it as a pure review thread; i.e. not TCSS whatsoever, just tire reviews - ala NASIOC tire review thread.

It would be great if reviewers can be as detailed as possible, as tires are very subjective, so more information would definitely be appreciated by everyone.

I think it'll benefit everyone in the forum, as we do not seem to have any comprehensive reviews on various tires in our local context.

Conflicting opinions that buck the norm are also welcome, so do not be afraid of posting more reviews of a previously reviewed tire - the more the merrier! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Will try and get Hamet's help to make this a sticky, but I'll still need all your help to keep this thread as sanitised as possible!

Anyway, here goes!

Here's the format for the tire review:

Tire reviewed: Tire Brand and Model

Tire Size: e.g. 225/45

Driving Style: Spirited / Highway / City / Track / Autocross

Dry Handling:

Dry Braking:

Wet Handling:

Wet Braking:

Treadwear:

Please refrain from asking for prices of the tires and asking questions in this thread, so navigation will be easier for those who are looking to gain some knowledge.

Thanks for all your help in advance!
1 person likes this

Time to start the ball rolling! All subsequent posters can use this first post as the format - just delete my content and use the underlined headings.

Tire Reviewed:

Falken FK452

falken_tires_fk_452-200-200.jpg

Tire Size:

215/45 R17

Driving Style:

Spirited with Occasional Track Session

Dry Handling:

Pretty stiff sidewalls for street tires, with good dry traction. They are progressive and make a fair amount of noise to inform you of the impending loss of traction. On the street, they grip well from cold and really come into their own when they warm up, offering decent cornering traction and braking, but the lateral traction of these tires is easily breached if you enter bends too fast. Things go downhill once you hit the track with them. On the track, they are only good for about 3 to 4 hard laps at Pasir Gudang before they start to melt and feel greasy. This greasy feeling gets worse with each subsequent track session and I find that they begin to lose traction a lot earlier than the previous sessions. The FK452s also tend to chunk quite badly when they're pushed hard on the track. I personally feel that these tires are great for learning car control, as they are forgiving, but do not pamper the driver too much.

Dry Braking:

Above average dry braking, but a stiff prod on my Legacy brakes will provoke the front tires to chirp. Good feel of the road during braking, making brake modulation relatively confidence inspiring.

Wet handling:

The Falkens do decently well in the wet, but they do feel like they aquaplane when faced with standing water. These tires will do excellently in light to moderate rain, but once the sky REALLY opens up and puddles form, they will let you down at speeds above 80km/h. They have below average latitudinal traction in the wet and do not inspire much confidence in wet cornering, so it's advisable not to take hard corners in the wet with these tires. Aquaplaning resistance was also compromised after 20,000km and one track session, so it is best to drive carefully in the rain with these.

Wet Braking:

Wet braking is excellent on damp ground, but leaves much to be desired when braking over shallow standing water, as the feedback from the road tends to drop off over puddles.

Treadwear:

Decent treadwear (mine only lasted 28,500km and three track days), but as mentioned above, traction drops off after about 25,000km.

Road noise:

I'm not particularly anal about this aspect of tires, but I must say they're a tad noisy if you're looking to do quiet cruising with them.

Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone RE070

icon_smile.gif

Treadwear:

Rated 140...compound feels soft to the touch, my previous set lasted me 30K klicks( normal street and highway driving @ 230kpa front and 190kpa rear) and 3 tracks days at PG....it still had about 20% tread left when i dumped them...

Road noise:

You'll experience a weird crunching drone with these tyres not those irritating beat frequencies whereby it goes "wong wong wong" at highway speeds....personally i find them ok but then again cabin noise would differ from car to car....contis wont suffer such discomforts i would say... icon_lol.gif

Tire Reviewed:

Continental CSC22

co_contisportcontact2_ci1_l.jpg

Tire Size:

225/45 R17

Driving Style:

Dry Handling:

Sidewalls are slightly stiffer as this tires are meant for spirited driving. A very decent street tires, with good dry traction and very low noise level. Been to PG for 3 track session and they are quite predictable and progressive to certain extend. They are only good for about 5 to 7 hot laps at Pasir Gudang before they start to feel greasy. This greasy feeling gets worse with each subsequent track session and I find that they begin to lose traction a lot earlier than the previous sessions. The CSC2 seems to have quite a good wear rate, could be i didn't drive hard enough in track, and i have not experience any of the rubber got chuck off. IMHO, i too feel that these tires are great for learning car control, as they are forgiving, but do not pamper the driver too much.

Dry Braking:

Due to the thread design ( Bonic /dynamic contour) , under braking and cornering, the width of the tires widen thus promotes stability and greatly reduces the braking distance. So far i've no issue in PG track, the tires do what they supposed to do.

Wet handling:

I've not tried tracking in the wet with this tires before, hence can't comment much here. However, in street driving, the ability to handle aqua-planing is respectable. The wide circumferential grooves helps to disperse water efficiently and has been serving me well so far. No complaints in this aspect, but do exercise cautious when it rains.

Wet Braking:

Wet braking is good, but in cemented sheltered car parks, do brake with cautious. Had several nasty experience especially in such areas. Wet grip in cemented flooring is bad.

Treadwear:

the treadwear seems somewhat decent, the depth of my tires are considered deep even thought they have experienced 3 track session in PG.

Road noise:

they are the quietest tires i've used so far.

Tire Reviewed:

Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212

post-47172-1239097449_thumb.jpg

Tire Size:

225/45 R17

Driving Style:

Spirited driving - 30% city, 70% highway

Dry Handling:

Sidewalls are pretty soft - relatively comfortable on most surfaces. Steering response leaves a little to be desired and the sidewall tends to squirm when pushed hard through a corner, but it might be due to the fact that I'm running conservative camber (-1.0 degrees up front). I think they should do better with a more aggressive setup to counter the squirm. The tires feel a little dead and slightly greasy when cold, but stick to the ground like velcro once they are properly warmed up. I've never been able to breach the limits of traction on public roads, except for instances of absolutely stupid / careless driving. There is sufficient response from the tires to allow you to modulate throttle and braking.

Dry Braking:

Braking on dry ground is decent when cold. Once the tires are warmed up, braking is excellent and confidence-inspiring. The added traction allows more accurate modulation of the brake pedal and also increases the threshold before ABS kicks in. Truly a great tire for dry braking.

Wet handling:

These tires were bought with 50% left, so I cannot comment on them if they were new. With the amount of thread left, they were excellent on damp ground - I was always able to feel the tire in contact with the surface of the road. Things get a little lairy when the tires are faced with puddles of standing water, with some amount of aquaplaning at about 80 to 90km/h but keep the steering wheel straight and the car will pull through with no dramas. The car never felt like it was going to switch lanes upon hitting puddles. I imagine the aquaplaning resistance of these tires to be pretty damn good at full tread. I can't comment on the lateral grip of these tires in the wet, as I tend to be more conservative when it rains.

Wet Braking:

Wet braking is decent, with good feel of the road. Hard braking has only ever mildly engaged ABS, never fully. Once again, no dramas here.

Treadwear:

Frightening to say the least...I bought these tires with 50% left, with the intention of trying them out at the track. They only lasted about 2 odd months before the rear tires were on the wear indicators (I travel about 100km everyday), I never got to try them out at the track before I had to change them. Mildly disappointing in this area, but I suppose there's a price to pay for the phenomenal grip.

Road noise:

Relatively silent for the type of performance offered. Definitely more silent than the Falken FK452s I reviewed previously.

Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R

icon_smile.gif Hopefully it stays that way till the next track day.

Road noise:

Quiet. No humming sounds can be heard at max speed on spore roads.

Tire Reviewed:

Goodyear Eagle Revspec RS-02

EagleRevspecRS-02.jpg

Tire Size:

225/45 R17

Driving Style:

Spirited driving - 40% city, 60% highway, Occasional track session (Pasir Gudang)

Dry Handling:

Decently stiff sidewalls that stand up pretty well to squirming, even during hard cornering. Predictable breakaway characteristics with slightly less vocal warning than other tires such as Goodyear Eagle F1 and Falken FK452, but relatively easy to control with throttle modulation and steering input. Traction is amazing for a street tire, despite the conservative amount of camber I run (-1.0 degrees front, -1.2 degrees rear) for both street and track. Most impressive thing about this tire is it's resistance to overheating - it was run for 2 straight hours at Pasir Gudang in very hot afternoon heat, but never ever threatened to slide (which my previous Falken FK452s did after 45 minutes).

Dry Braking:

Dry braking is relatively good - ABS never threatened to work it's magic, except during the times where I absolutely stood on the slow pedal. Hard braking at the track never breached the traction limits of the tire and I've never ever heard them screech, except during emergency maneouvres. These tires really allowed my high temp brake pads to work their magic on the street and track.

Wet handling:

Excellent aquaplaning resistance characteristics of this tire allowed them to travel through moderate puddles at speeds up to 90km/h without even feeling a hint of slowing down. Travelling over larger puddles never threatened to wrench the car from out of the intended lane. Lateral traction in the wet is great, but breakage of traction is sudden and comes without audible warning - do not be overly confident with this tire.

Wet Braking:

Excellent wet braking. I've never ever engaged ABS, except during emergency situations. Absolutely no dramas here.

Treadwear:

Treadwear for street driving is good and shouldn't give any problems, provided rotation is done regularly. At the track, 2 hours only took out about 20% to 30% of the tire, so I presume it's pretty damn decent.

Road noise:

Decent when I first got them (at 70% tread), but once I wore it down to below 40%, the sound it was absolutely deafening, especially over the rough roads up North. In my opinion, the only true drawback of this tire.

Tire Reviewed:

Toyo Proxes T1R

lpid18966.jpg

Tire Size:

205/55 R16

Driving Style:

Spirited driving - 50% city, 50% highway No tracking.

Dry Handling:

My previous rubber use for my MY06 TS is Michelin PP2, so when I first replaced with this new Toyo T1R, immediately felt the softness of the sidewall. Road noise is reduce compare with my 40K km PP2, grip is excellent on dry for under 500km of travelling. but due to the soft side wall, you could actually feel like it's wobbling when trying to take hard corner. My balls suddenly shrink for the first time when i took the first bend rather fast (from slip road to PIE from Tampines). I begin to feel disappointed with this tyre, but after a few more days of driving and observation, it's due to the soft side wall and not the grip. The grip is there and it would hold on it during the aggressive bend, you could feel the car body is wobbling. After two weeks of driving and more then 700km clock on this tyre, the dry grip is good with minimal road noise.

Oh yes, got a bit of screeching sound at some multi storey carpark.

Dry Braking:

Dry braking is good too - never tried to do a real hard one but a few occasion with immediate braking is required, it hold still.

Wet handling:

As usual, good but not excellent aquaplaning resistance, can feel it pull or slow the vehicle when traveling on the real wet surface. Traveling over larger puddles can slightly feel the car move a bit from the intended lane but it's expected. Not fully confident with this tyre compare to my previous PP2.

Wet Braking:

Good and not excellent wet braking. Had not really try hard braking at rain or wet road, too dangerous and would update immediately if it happens to have a chance.

Treadwear:

It has UTQG of 280 AA A

Road noise:

Currently it seems to hold down the road noise quite good, but I would expect the road noise would started to come in after 10k km or so. Will update again when it reaches 10k or 5k

Tire Reviewed:

Falken AZENIS ST-115

icon_biggrin.gif

Treadwear:

Treadwear for street driving is good and shouldn't give any problems, provided rotation is done regularly. However at the PG track, 1 hours only took out about 20% to 30% of the tire.

Road noise:

Bearable when they are new, but once its worn down to below 60%, the sound starts to become deafening.

Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone Potenza G3

icon_redface.gif yes i'm on stock rims

Driving Style:

sometimes spirited, sometimes relaxed - 50% city, 50% highway, no track.

Dry Handling:

Not bad. steering feedback feels good enough. not to the extent of RT615 but overall good feedback. side edges don't go fuzzy as fast. compound is not so soft but i guess that's what allowes for its fantastic treadwear icon_thumbsup.gif have this set of tyres for about a year now and there's still about 20-30% more to go icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif this tyre gives you pretty even performance throughout its lifespan, unlike ST115 (no offence idol) which i felt became very very very poor especially in the wet towards the end of its lifespan.

Dry Braking:

no complaints in this area. but i've never been a hard braker so i might be a poor judge of dry braking characteristics. however there are instances these days (at 50% wear) where braking response leaves me wanting for more. can't seem to stop as fast as before. also feel that the G3 compound seems to be hardening up and getting crumbly a bit under our hot climate.

Wet handling:

wet handling is comparable to ST115 (sorry Idol, ST115 was my previous tyre hence the frequent comparisons icon_redface.gif ) i can't really tell which is better but given that i'm the sort of person that sometimes doesn't really slow down my usual speed "just because it's raining" icon_redface.gif the G3s suit me just fine. haven't floated on water or lost traction yet icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Wet Braking:

no complaints icon_wink.gif given my wet driving style as written above, haven't had problems stopping yet *fingers crossed* icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Treadwear:

excellent!! very very uniform performance through the lifespan of the tyre. and these tyres last forever! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Road noise:

noise? what noise? i'm deaf lah.

edit: just came back from PG not too long ago. granted i wasn't really pushing it, but the tarmac was scorching and i had some backside sliding moments. these tyres gave good feedback. you can feel the slip and the grip. the wear on this tyre... fantastic. no huge chunks of rubber ripped out! all in all very even wear. but after this track session on the wet it started to get a lil hairy. i had an understeer moment @ CTE/Plaza sing traffic light junction when i was going a lil too fast for the wet icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Tire Reviewed:

Yokohama S.Drive AS01

Sdrive_main.5293.jpg

Tire Size:

225/45 R17

Driving Style:

Spirited driving - 40% city, 60% highway, Occasional track session (Pasir Gudang)

Dry Handling:

Sidewalls are relatively softer than my previous AD07s and the shoulders are rounded off, making for slightly vague turn-in (in comparison with AD07). The tires grip very well and communicate the limits via very vocal squealing and relatively good steering feedback. When I previously ran them on 230kpa, the sidewalls were silghtly wallowy and steering feedback suffered as a result, but bumping the pressures up to 250kpa front and 240kpa rear helped to compensate for sidewall deflection. Cold traction is pretty decent and the tires warm up to operating temperature very rapidly, but do note that I also find that if you overcook corner entries with overly high speeds, the tires tend to overheat pretty quickly too. At a recent track day, I started the day conservatively with the tires, but once they were warmed up, I gained enough confidence to really push them all the way to the limit and just play with the traction limit via throttle inputs. As the day wore on, pushing too quickly into some corners caused excessive understeer, which seemed to heat the tires up to the point where loud squealing was heard - this was accompanied by epic understeer. At this point, I knew the tires were at starting to overheat and called it a day. However, this was only after about 12 to 14 hard laps in afternoon sun, at which point some amount of chunking was noticed at the outer shoulder. All in all, a pretty decent street tire that can handle occasional track sessions, but I personally prefer something with slightly better heat handling capabilities.

Dry Braking:

Dry braking is relatively good, with most emergency manouevres being dispatched without much drama. With my dampers set to medium stiffness, I'm able to modulate hard braking with my high temperature pads (0-800 deg front, 0-500 deg rear) without activating the ABS. The tires react pretty well to trail braking, but seem to develop feathered edges on the inside shoulder of the tires, possibly indicating that the compound is a little too soft for really hard track use. Once the tires start to reach their heat handling limit, the front tires seem to still be able to hold their line when braking hard in a straight line, but the rears will seem to wander a bit (slight fishtailing).

Wet handling:

Truth be told, I tested these tires in the hope that I'd be able to find something comparable to the Goodyear Eagle Revspec RS-02 tires I used to have. I'm glad to report that while they're not as impressive in the wet as the latter, the Yokohama S.Drives to a pretty good job of coming a close second to the Revspecs. I've been able to power through HUGE puddles of standing water at about 90km/h, engulfed completely by plumes of water on either side of the car (definitely higher than the car) - all without any deviation to the steering wheel. Wet braking is never really an issue, except over steel construction panels and really badly pockmarked surfaces. The longitunidal traction in the wet is definitely up to the task, but still lacks some of the road feedback and surefootedness that the Revspecs had over puddles. That said, I don't have as much confidence in the wet lateral traction, as the tires lack the same kind of cornering feedback that the Revspecs had, so I did not try to push that hard.

Wet Braking:

Excellent wet braking. I've never ever engaged ABS, except during emergency situations. Absolutely no dramas here.

Treadwear:

These tires seem to be decent for street driving, but I did notice accelerated wear from aggressive driving. However, given my aggressive street camber settings (-2.2 deg front, -1.5 deg rear, zero toe all around), the tires all wore very evenly across the full contact surface. At the track, two track sessions seemed to take about 30% to 40% of the tire tread, but I admit that I pushed them very hard this time round. The front left tire seems to have lost about 50% to 60% of it's tread life to the last two sessions, so I think while they are decently durable, they don't stand up to super hard lateral forces (i.e. sliding) very well. I've also noticed that the compound of these tires allows the rubber to "ball" up and peel off the tire when they are subjected to extreme heat and friction, much like semi-slicks - this seems to allow it to reveal new surface below and provide pretty decent handling consistency when subjected to prolonged abuse, but only up to a certain limit. I guess given the similarity in tread to the Falken FK452, this is the secret to it's performance advantage over the Falkens (which I frankly think are crap, after having had the opportunity to try other tires).

Road noise:

They're not the quietest of tires, but compared to the previous AD07s, these tires at least allow me to hold a conversation with my wife without having to shout. If I weren't such a nut behind the wheel, I'd definitely rock these tires on the street.

Tire Reviewed:

Ferderal

595 RS-R

Tire Size:

215/45 R17

Driving Style:

Dry Handling:

Reinforced carcass and sidewall offers easy handling while taking the abuse of driving at high speed as well as good grip and cornering stability. But requires quite a few more laps to warm up the tires before you can feel more difference.

Dry Braking:

Responding well. Not much difficulty for last minute braking (Subjected to individual braking system)

Wet handling:

Never really try out. Cos these few days so hot. No rain.

Wet Braking:

Never really try out. Cos these few days so hot. No rain.

Treadwear:

Stated 140, Traction AA, tested on track. I think is pretty decent enough with the retail price.

Road noise:

Probably still quite new, not much particulars about the noise.

NeutonNT5000225-40-18Year2008Pics2.jpg

Reviewed:

Neuton NT-5000

Tire Size:

235/45 R17

Driving Style:

Spirited (borderline aggressive)

Dry Handling:

The sidewalls of this tire are relatively soft in comparison to what I've previously used, so I find that I have to run higher pressures than usual (270kpa cold) to combat excessive sidewall flex. That said, these tires are slightly numb and feel greasy during the scrub-in period, so I had to run them at 240kpa to help with traction. After a 700km scrub-in period, the tires felt more responsive, but still a tad numb due to the soft sidewalls. Turn-in tends to be a bit vague, but they grip relatively well once the car settles into the bend. High corner entry speeds with aggressive steering angle tends to cause understeer (due to soft sidewalls), but breakaway is communicated clearly through the steering wheel. Tire pressure needs to be maintained above 250kpa in order for the turn in to be more responsive, as pressures below 240kpa tend to make the tire feel very soft and wallowy. That said, bumping the pressure up to 270kpa really improved the turn-in response and mid-corner feedback a whole lot, making it easier to balance the car with trail-braking and throttle modulation.

Update (06/08/09):

After playing around with the tire pressure, it seems that 270kpa bumps the steering response up quite a fair bit, but tends to make the tires feel a little skittish when approaching the limit. 250kpa still feels a wee bit soggy for more aggressive maneouvres, hence 260kpa (somewhere around 38psi) seems to be a pretty decent compromise between steering response and traction. With the pressure maintained at this level, the handling characteristics of the tires seem to have completely transformed - turn in is much more responsive and the limit of lateral traction can be exploited further before the tires transit into understeer. Trail braking is still needed for more aggressive entry, while delicate throttle control needs to be observed during corner exit - boot the throttle too aggressively and the tires feel like they'll start to transit into understeer, but it's easily corrected by backing off a bit.

Update (06/08/09):

Braking remains the same, but pedal feel is improved with the tire pressure bumped up.

Update (06/08/09):

Tires still track very well in a straight line over puddles. With tire pressure bumped up, limits of lateral traction seem to be easier to predict - as opposed to a sudden transition into understeer when the tire pressure was at about 230kpa. That said, I'm no Michael Schumacher, so I'm generally pretty conservative in the rain.

I'm about due for rotation (probably at about 20,000km of usage now) and the tires still look like they hardly wore, despite some heavy-handed driving.

Road noise:

The tires exhibit some ambient road noise, but are still relatively bearable for daily driving (although I somehow find them a tad noisier than my previous S.Drives). Definitely not the worst I've used, but they might be a bit annoying for those more particular about ambient noise. All in all, a decent tire for daily use, but I still haven't explored the limits of these tires enough to have the confidence to take them to the track yet. Watch this space for further updates.

with so many people using this tyre, it's time for a review. please feel free to add on. to keep this thread neat, pm me your inputs.

Tire reviewed:

Federal 595 Super Steel

icon_sad.gif definately not very good, but still better than the average stock tyre.

Wet Braking:

i don't like it too! icon_sad.gif

Treadwear:

my drifter friends swear by this tyre. though it's got soft sidewalls, difficult to balance, etc, these tyres can really take abuse. they can last forever!!!! icon_lol.gif

and for a 17" tyre to be in the $100s... who's complaining?

The following review is based on my own personal layman opinions and experience. Feel free to PM me for your further inputs and queries.

Tire reviewed:

Falken Ziex-912

icon_lol.gif

However! At the end of the sessions, drivers were checking their tyres to complare all their battle scrubs on the trecherous PG circuit when suddenly one of them exclaimed in shock when looking at my front two tyres. here's what it looked like:

icon_smile.gif

Tire reviewed

GT Radial Champiro HPY

icon_thumbsup.gif wet grip was comparable to MIC Eagle F1s! definately better than the 595s i was previously on.

Wet Braking:

with better wet grip, comes better wet braking. it goes hand in hand.

Treadwear:

tyre rating says 340. will see how these tyres fare after some abuse on track icon_wink.gif

Update! (25 June 2010)

6 months on, I thought it's time for an update icon_smile.gif

Driving Style:

mixture of city and highway with the occasional track session. this set of tyres has been through 3 PG track days and 1 Sepang track day so far.

Dry Handling:

relatively good grip when it's properly scuffed in. these being street tyres do not equate them to semislicks or AD08s but rather, their grip is marginally better than the RE001 i've tried before, close to the grip on bridgestone G3s... the RE001 predecessor (pt to note: i find the G3s grip better than the 001s)

the downside is that these tyres have soft sidewalls and thus the shoulders get more worn after cornering. u can also feel these tyres slip and grip through the corners esp turn 1, 5 and 6 where your speeds are higher. but so far they've held well and have yet to suddenly snap out of grip.

Dry Braking:

this is relatively good as well but towards the end of the lifespan, as expected of all tyres, braking suffers. ABS kicked in once or twice during the last track session and the limits of the tyre seemed to be reached earlier but still their performance was still good. the grip was still there. inner threads are almost gone though, coz of camber settings, but the tyres are still useable on the streets for at least a few 1000 kms.

Wet Handling:

good throughout the lifespan of the tyre. now that they're unevenly worn, the grip on the wet has lessened (coz the water channels have gone) but they can still grip. they definately grip better than stock tyres.

Wet Braking:

goes hand in hand with wet handling. haven't really tried the limit and don't intend to!! but I do remember hairy moments where i had to e-brake in the wet due to traffic jams and they held.

Noise:

These tyres are quiet. quieter than the RE001s and quieter than federal 595ss (these were the 2 most recent tyres i've used thus the comparison). even now towards the end of its lifespan the tyres are still quiet.

Treadwear:

tyre rating says 340. bro Rentabass says they last forever. i say they're good icon_thumbsup.gif. they lasted me about 7 months (about 18,000 kms + trackdays in between) and they still have thread for street use. for $160+ bucks per tyre, its good value for money. the down sides are the asymmetrical design, which means I can't cross rotate them for more even wear, and the compound was more suitable for street, thus under abusive track conditions, the compound hardened significantly quicker than non-track street tyres.

Here's how they look like at the end of my use:

SNC00080.jpgSNC00081.jpg

Tire Reviewed:

Advan Neova AD08

icon_mrgreen.gif

Dry Handling:

The latest evolution of the Advan Neovas doesn't fail to impress as these tires are one of the closest experiences you can get to semi-slicks. A proper scrubb in is needed to unleash the full potential of these tires, as they will feel greasy if you try to do maneuvers during the scrubb in period. Just as with the AD07s, these tires have super stiff sidewalls which sharpens turn in response and results in less sidewall flex during hard cornering. Traction on these tires is phenomenal as the tires become super-sticky when they have fully heated. This works to your advantage on the track because honestly, you can get away with over-cooked entry speeds and incorrect racing lines... a true testament of how grippy these tires are! icon_biggrin.gif

Dry Braking:

Braking is very good in the dry without activating the ABS. The tires hold up very well under hard braking in the track and will hardly screech, except during emergencies.

Wet handling:

Something has to give and to be on the safe side, it is not recommended that these tires be driven to the limt on a rainy day. Having said this, I am suprised that these tires can travel comfortably on wet roads (no rain) at 120kph. But I must strongly caution you not to be overtly confident with these tires as I can only manage 90kph in the rain and 70kph when driving over big puddles as the signs of lateral aquaplaning start to show.

Wet Braking:

Wet braking is good but within reasonable means. Do not jam brake, let alone hard brake, as you will soon find out how unforgiving these tires are in the rain.

Treadwear:

As mentioned in my previous review, alignment and driving styles plays an important part in the longevity of the tread wear. Maintaining its predecessor's tread wear rating (UTQG) of 180, I can assume that the tire will wear as fast as the AD07s, taking into account that I mantained my driving style. I am currently running negative camber (Front -2.1, Rear -1.4) but i am in an onging process to correct my driving to reduce tire wear. So with a bit of luck, I will try to extend the tire life past 3 track days.

Road noise:

Noise is minimal during the scrubb in period but it starts to be noiser afterwards, just like its AD07 predecessor. But anyone who had used Advan Neovas before will attest that its a small price to pay for the major performance that you get! icon_cool.gif

Tire Reviewed:

Yokohama S.Drive AS01

Tire Size:

205/50 R16

Driving Style:

Spirited driving - 20% city, 80% highway. No tracking session

Dry Handling:

Sidewalls are pretty stiff in my opnion.The tyres traction on dry surface is very decent and have relatively good steering feedback. Tyres are on 35 Psi front and rear and on N2. In my Opinion, better than DZ101, Falken 912.

Dry Braking:

Dry braking is excellent, so far most unforseen hard braking was without breaking into much sweat.

However i realise when i am traveling on hot days and very spritied driving, i notice that my outside shoulder kind of develop feathered edges Maybe too much fast corners.

So far I had not encounter much drama in dry braking / handling

Wet handling:

Quite impressive in the wet compare to the Aspec series, DZ101 or falken.

The S Drive did a decent good job of bringing my car to a stop without much heartstoping action from 120km/h.

I've been able to go through huge puddles of standing water at ECP/PIE at the legal limits without much problem

Only once did i felt some aquaplanning and some deviation to the steering wheel the my car was almost engulf by huge puddles of water.. ( SLOW DOWN WHEN ITS RAINS)

Wet Braking:

Good wet braking. Did engage ABS a couple of time when it was really wet and raining heavily and i had to apply HARD braking. to avoid any accident. but so far .. all been good.

Treadwear:

Tyre rating is at 300. so they seem to be pretty good for street driving, but like i mention before.

i did seen some feathering near the shoulder from aggressive driving.

Tyres seem to be evenly worn out when send for rotation and balancing.

Road noise:

Subjective. but it didnt bother me when i am driving so it should be good.

And i drive without turing on the radio .. icon_biggrin.gif

Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001

icon_rolleyes.gif no problem until now

Wet handling:

Hmm cant really comment much on this cos mostly raining i dont speed... but call i can say this tyre handle aqua planning quite decently, not say very good but it definitely reduce the chance by alot

Wet Braking:

Wet braking until now no problem... maybe i dont speed during raining days.. so i think i didnt really push this tyre..

Treadwear:

As i dont use this tyre on track... the tread wear for this tyre is good.. been using it for about 6months.. driving about 40k with it... the thread is still quite ok...

Road noise:

Road noise for this tyre is quite loud due to it stiff sidewall... so be prepare to blast yr sound system when travelling above 100km/h

Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone RE11

Bridgestone_RE11_2.jpg

Tire Size:

225/45 R17

Driving Style:

Normal day commuting / Spirited driving / Occasional Track Session

Dry Handling:

Tire <3000km

When i first bought these tires, i immediately fell that the turn in wasnt as sharp as my previous AD07. It felt very very slightly vague before the tyre bites and turn in the direction that you would like. Lateral grip was in my humble opinion, not up to mark with the AD07. With all the reviews that it was so much better than AD07, i was slightly disappointed. When i took this set to Sepang, i performed 1 second slower than my AD07, however it was also during this trip that i did some minor camber adjustments and so cannot fully blame the tire for my slower timing. However i am sure that the tire didnt grip as well for me. Heat cycle held up better than AD07 and i could last longer on the tracks before pitting.

One other thing to note is that sidewalls are bloody stiff, which is very good. I was playing around with PSI settings on sepang to compensate for the greasy feeling and I under inflated, yet the sidewall held up very well with very very slight folding in....

Tire >3000km

Handling improved quite a bit, i believe that this particular model of tires requires more than the usual scrubbing in to bring out its true performance. After 3000km the tire feels more mature and turn in has improved so much that it feels sharper than my AD07, however it needs to be slightly warmed up frirst before you take in on spirited runs. Turn in feels so much better, can feel the road and feedback is excellent, you will know when you are gonna lose traction. at this stage, RE11 feels better than my AD07 already.

Dry Braking:

Excellent road holding, even E-brake scenario at reasonably high speeds with 4 passengers, tires were making sharp chirping noise but still had massive grip, so far i havent been able to activate ABS yet for normal road driving. Good solid breaking holding power when you need it.

Wet handling:

Totally beats AD07 in this respect, well behaved during wet weathers. Last time AD07 on PIE heavy raining from Changi to Tuas around tampines area right lane would have a perpetual deep puddle, i would aquaplane at 80lm/hr. The RE11 shines through its wet handling and cuts through puddles easily without drama. that doesnt give you the license to speed when wet though, but i have so much more confidence that my car wont aqualane if i drive at sensible speeds when its raining. Lateral grip during wet is also very good, turn in feels less sharp but i still can get feedback from the road and know how much of the tire im actually pushing.

Wet Braking:

Cant comment much on this, i drive slowly when its wet and havent had the chance to break hard under wet conditions yet.

Treadwear:

Looks like wear is slightly noticeable for under 5000km, dont get this tire if your worried about threadwear. Performance and long last tires dont go together.

Road noise:

This is where this tire totally shines. The first time i put on this tires, i could actually hear my engine sound at 100/120km hr. White noise was greatly reduced and even made my car feel conti because the tires were so silent. Post 5000km, noise has increased but its still bloody amazing for a performance tire. note: at speeds of 160km, its still as noisy as you would expect with a performance type.

Disclaimer,

these are my humble opinions only. This review is also only worth as much as the reviewer himself and his experience of tires used. Afterall, when i review this tire, i compare it to stuff that ive driven on only, so below are the tires i used before for you to assess my review because the experience is only valid in context of a objective comparison of the tires ive used before.

RE050

Eagle F1

AD07

Fed 595 EVO

RE010

Tire Reviewed:

Advan Neova AD08

33405_137372519621218_100000454134150_28

Tire Size:

235/40 R17

Driving Style:

Dry Handling:

Sidewalls are reasonably stiff, but still pliant enough to traverse pockmarked surfaces without feeling like you're being kicked in the kidneys by a kangaroo. Steering feedback is sharp, slightly sharper and more responsive than the AD07s that this model replaces. Dry traction is excellent and the tires feel more progressive at the limit than their predecessors. Took these tires up to Pasir Gudang for the first time recently and found that while they resisted overheating better than the AD07s, they seem to be more sensitive to changes in tire pressure as well - I left the tire pressure higher than usual and found the car started to transit into understeer much earlier than if I were to do the same with AD07s, but the traction returned in spades once the pressures were dropped and limits were super predictable.

Dry Braking:

Braking is great out of the box, with extreme braking manouevres being dispatched without much dramas. I run a very strong brake setup with plenty of late, hard braking at the track and the tires rarely locked up, despite repeated abuse.

Wet handling:

Immediately after the above mentioned track session, I headed up to Malacca with my wife without changing the tires pressures. The skies pissed down cats and dogs shortly after leaving the track, with visibility dipping to about 200m at some point. With the speed maintained between 100 and 120km/h, we got to Malacca in one piece - not once did I feel threatened by any close shaves. The tires maintained feedback of the road surface throughout the journey, probably more feedback than the AD07s offered.

Wet Braking:

Surprisingly, wet braking with these tires is very predictable, with plenty of pedal feel. They haven't locked up on me yet, in spite of some emergency braking enroute to Malacca due to sudden lane changes by heavy vehicles.

Treadwear:

The tires were purchased new and after the track session and road trip, the tires showed approximately 30% of wear - wear was even across the surface of the tire, but I did notice that the inner shoulders wore slightly less than my previous AD07s did with the same alignment geometry. I've also done about 10,000km on these tires thus far with only one round of rotation after the track day, but the wear rate is still acceptable to me.

Road noise:

The tires are noisy, but considerably quieter than the AD07s I previously ran. The pitch of the road noise is also notably lower, so it's slightly less annoying on long drives. They're a great set of tires, but they definitely come at a high price. Watch this space for more updates in future.

Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone RE001

Tire Size:

215/45 R17

Driving Style:

Normal day commuting / Spirited driving / Occasional Track Session

Dry Handling:

Tire <3000km

When i first bought these tires (2nd hand), looks pretty new to me with at least 80%. Used it on street driving. Very suitable for Singapore Road.

Tire >3000km

Characteristic of this tire, I feel its just really meant for street usage. Not recommended for track usage.

On the recent track session @ PG, my front left totally worn off into pieces, almost unable to come back Singapore. Maybe its partly due to i'm the 2nd owner of this tires, i guess, but what I feel is nothing really fanastic comparable to my previous tire - Federal 595 RS-R which can last me about 10-12 Track Session at PG & 1 at SIC.

Dry Braking:

Reasonably performed well at Singapore Road.

Wet handling:

Unable to provide due to usage not more than 2 weeks.

Wet Braking:

Unable to provide due to usage not more than 2 weeks.

Treadwear:

Unable to provide due to usage not more than 2 weeks. But I think if use on Singapore Road & Normal Street Driving, it should be quite last well.

Road noise:

Not really in particular, but I have to admit, this tire is pretty quiet.