Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone RE11

Tire Size:

225/45 R17

Driving Style:

Normal day commuting

Dry Handling:

Tire <3000km

Very fantastic. I have to admit, its the best set of tires I have used.

Tire >3000km

Immediately after from PG, I was still in contemplating whether AD08 or RE11 for my driving style. Until I meet up with the mech, they recommended RE11 for me, personally, after fixed up, its almost an unbelieveable feeling I got, reasons: I'm driving a 1.5 Hatchback, usually, wider profile, its more like low end suffer abit, but the feeling is totally not, in fact, its very smooth & comfortable. I think I will stick to 225 profile in future. Until today, I have no regrets spending on this good set of tires. Stiffer sidewalls than AD08. Good for road bends.

Dry Braking:

I have to say, its still boils down to individuals driving styles, for me working in the east, travelling at ECP, so not much of braking last min. But usually, I have no problem, I trust this tires. Its fantastic.

Wet handling:

The day when I fixed this up, its pouring like cats & dogs. I did tried to drive up to 110km/hr on the extreme right lane when raining. Totally unbelievable control in the wet. Its awesome. You won't get this feeling of your car is "off the ground". You still can drive as usual.

Wet Braking:

You really got to trust this tires. Its just holds on the grounds well, despite some last minute braking.

Treadwear:

Sorry, I didn't see what's the threadwear, but I have to say, I don't think I will use this tires on PG, maybe SIC I guess. But I love this tires, i dtn want it to be shredded like my previous RE001.

Road noise:

Not really in particular, but I have to admit, this tire is pretty quiet. Good.

Comparing based from my previous set of tires: Federal 595 RS-R & RE001.

V8.jpg

Hankook V8 RS

Tire Size:

205/55/16

Driving Style:

70% Minor & Major Roads - 30% Highway

Dry Handling:

This is the cousin of the Hankook V12. By looking at it physically, it's just a normal tyre for day to day use tyres. But push it harder and you'll notice it's quite good on dry handling.

I managed to go up "pretty fast" on these tyres on the Nicol Drive / Telok Paku bend from Changi Cargo Complex towards Changi Village. (Some people might know where this is & I don't want to indicate my speed as it's a sensitive issue) - My balls not so big so i dare not go more than that on this tyre.

Being a 55mm, it's a bit bouncy on corners but I'd had it previously with the 215/45/17 and rims getting damaged.

Dry Braking:

Good grip. Not as grippy as the AD's or the RE's but it definitely stop in time.

Wet Handling:

All i can say that it's pretty good as I tracked twice with these tyres at PG and both are rainy days with cats & dogs all over! A few times the car starts to slide off the bends when pushed too hard but still managed to get it under control esp turn 4 & 5.

Wet Braking:

Great!! Never gave me any problems during wet brakings. So far my ABS never kicked in while i'm on these tyres.

Treadwear:

After 50k and 2 PG sessions.. It still got like 35%-40% thread left. (Taking into consideration that both my PG sessions are in wet conditions, the tyres are not that badly scrapped of unlike the normal hot sunny days.)

P/S: I bought these tyres 2nd hand for $150 at SHC with 90% thread wear. It's a good tyre for the normal drivers who goes for some spirited runs here & there once in a while. Not too hardcore, but still fun & got the chiong factor.

Federal 595 Super Steel

FEDERAL-SS595.gif

Car make/model:

MY08 Impreza 2.0i(M) 5DR Hatch (Stock)

Tire Size:

205/55/R16 (Pressure 250 Front/240 rear)

Driving Style:

Street/highway spirited driving

Dry Handling:

Good (after heating up), average when cool. Sidewall is reasonably stiff. Grip is definitely much lower than Potenza RE001 due to the hard compound & thread pattern (not enough rubber contact I guess).

Takes a long time to heat up to optimum temperature. Breakaway is gracefully progressive but happens quickly with low limits (better after heated up). Definitely a drifter's dream tyres, so I'm learning to drive that way, compared to RE001 which is grip driving.

Screeching sound marks the point just before losing grip.

Comfort is good due to higher profile but noise is rather intrusive but not by much compared to old 30k+ RE001. The deep grooves generates a lot of resonants.

Benchmark:

PIE Bedok North exit upramp can maintain 70km/h at apex of right lane with minimum slide. RE001 can do >80km/h.

KPE -> TPE(PIE) exit downramp with speed strips can maintain 60km/h at apex of left lane. RE001 can do about 70km/h.

Can do more if I take a more aggressive line but this is public road... safety first.

Dry Braking:

Good, managed to avoid a frontal collision from 70+km/h to stop in around 3 sec.

Wet Handling:

Similar to dry handling with lower limits. The problem is the tyres loses the progressive characteristics in the wet. I don't know when the tyres will lose traction at all. No feel & no screeching... Scary!

Wet Braking:

Straightline wet braking seems ok.

Treadwear:

As with most hard compound tyres, should be good. Own them for about 5000+km. No signs of wear.

Bridgestone Potenza RE001 Adrenaline

icon_lol.gif

Dry Braking:

Good, survived many e-brakes & collisions. Why Singapore drivers like to tailgate at high speed? icon_rolleyes.gif

Wet Handling:

Similar to dry handling with lower limits. Due to softer compound & additive, handling on wet roads is surprisingly reassuring. Problem comes with deep puddles or running water due to the shallow grooves not being able to disperse the water. Hydroplaning becomes a problem.

Benchmark: On AYE near Exit 13 was a slight right bend. All four tyres lost traction gracefully & car slided to left at high-speed. Throttling back stops the slide & I managed to stay in lane.

Wet Braking:

Straightline wet braking is poor. Even with ABS, car stopped from 80km/h after 6-7 secs. But this is when tyres were 20000+km (<1 year) so considered old.

Treadwear:

As with most softer compound tyres, should be below average, 30000-35000km. Changed 3 sets before yen exchange put the price above my budget.

Tire Reviewed:

Roadstone/Nexen N9000

icon_cry.gif Currently, the front tires are not worn evenly with 60% wear at the centre and 50% at the outer shoulders. Surprisingly, the rear tires held up well to the abuse and worn evenly across with 70% left.

Road noise:

Noise is surprisingly minimal before and after the scrubb in period. If you are used to driving extreme performance or semi-slick tires, you will appreciate this silence, while hearing only the engine noise. However, the familiar droning noise creeps in again once these tires surpass the 60% tread life mark.

1 person likes this

Tire Reviewed:

Bridgestone Potenza RE070

215001_251050404920095_100000454134150_9

Tire Size:

225/40 R18

Driving Style:

Spirited with Occasional Track Session

Dry Handling:

Sidewalls are stiff as rocks, especially when they're freshly topped up with air - traversing pockmarked surfaces is relatively harsh compared to other tires I've used, but no skipping is encountered. Steering feedback is razor sharp, with very good feel in the limit and direction changes are quick with great feedback. Driving them at the limit is relatively progressive, but they feel tad snappy in the tail end, possibly due to the combination of rigid sidewalls/shoulders and squarish profile. They are relatively resistant to overheating when subjected to about 30 laps of abuse at a recent Pasir Gudang outing, but are extremely sensitive to pressure changes - minute changes in tire pressure seem to result in drastic changes in handling characteristics. Take some time to find the correct hot pressures to run them at and you're likely to love them to bits, else you'll probably find yourself sliding all over the place if they're overinflated.

Updated - 03/12/2011:[/u]

Dry braking is still pretty good, with solid pedal feedback, but like the dry traction, feels slightly more nervous when they're not warmed up.

Wet handling:

I haven't driven the car in anger in wet weather, but I've yet to experience any dramas with them. Will post an update if I get to run them on a damp track day.

When the tires are warmed up, wet braking is still okay, but the lack of ground feel usually makes me keep a larger safety distance, so that I don't have to brake hard. Slight puddling on uneven surfaces seems to make braking slightly vague, but the car still stops decently - haven't tried emergency braking on the nearly bald tires.

Treadwear:

These tires came new with the car. After about 13,000km on the odometer and approximately 30laps on track, the front tires still have about 40% of life left, while the rears have about 60% left. They seem to wear well in track situations, but the inner shoulders appear to wear pretty quickly during daily driving, as I've noticed the rounding off of the inner shoulders when I rotated the tires prior to the track day.

Take what I've written above and multiply it by two - you've now got an idea of how deafening the tires are when they're nearly bald.

Tire Reviewed:

Roadstone N6000

post-9451-0-57989600-1356014175_thumb.jp

Tire Size:

235/45R17

Driving Style:

Dry Handling:

Sidewalls are a tad softer than what I'm used to, with tendency to tramline at higher pressures (i.e. 240kpa and above). The tramlining is less obvious once the tires are scrubbed in and the grip levels increase too. I've found that optimal grip is achieved on the track with the tires running at 220kpa (hot), as they have a tendency to roll over into the shoulders and slide out when pushed. They are VERY progressive on the limit and are relatively easy to feel and control, with the only real drawback being the soft sidewalls - weight shifts are slower, so the tires take longer to settle before you can pile on the power (floor the throttle before the tires settle and the car understeers), but the understeer is easily controlled by backing off the throttle a little to get the car to place more weight on the front. They're no RE070 by any means in terms of absolute grip, but they're superb for the price and throughout the 3 hr session at SIC, they held up well and didn't grease up like I thought they would - 2.5 hrs into the track day and I was still pushing the car hard, without feeling like the rubber had turned into soap.

Dry Braking:

Braking is incredible for a tire of this price range - I could stand on the brakes at about 100m flying into SIC T1 (at some point, bro 320bhp who was putting pressure on me from behind reported that I was braking at 50m for T1, T9 and T15) and the tires would just chirp a little. This braking performance remained unchanged throughout the track day, allowing me to brake consistently at the same spots. The same is true for street driving - emergency braking manouevres are usually dispatched without much drama. When the tires do start to lock up a little, it's easily controlled by backing off the slow pedal a wee bit. Good stuff.

Wet handling:

Aquaplaning resistance is commendable - you still feel the road when traversing large puddles, but the car does feel like it slows down. However, I don't think I've felt the steering wheel wrench out of my hands before, so that's a good sign. Feedback remains good even on damp surfaces, with breakaway being progressive. I have to admit that I don't drive that fast when it's wet, but these tires don't give me a heart attack when it really pours down.

Wet Braking:

Wet braking is pretty good as well - I have not really encountered any dramatic instances with these tires. Emergency braking sometimes causes ABS lockup right at the bottom of the brake pedal travel, but backing off the slow pedal a little bit will allow the car to regain braking grip.

Treadwear:

The above photo was taken after about 20,000km of street driving, trip to and from SIC and 3 hours on the track. They still look like they have about 40 - 50% left in them, so I think they're pretty damn durable.

Road noise:

Not unreasonably noisy - they do emit some road noise, which gets louder over rough patches of road, but it's nothing that'll really give you a splitting headache.

I also was fortunate enough to be able to test these tires on a damp Pasir Gudang circuit, with one medium sized puddle at the far bank of Turn 1. After warming up, the tires were actually pretty grippy on the wet tarmac, with very progressive braking and cornering limits. The tires always felt connected with the road surface and I could easily feel when they were letting go or when the ABS was kicking in due to locking up (overbraking). At one point, I tried WOTing the car out of Turn 1 and traversing the puddle - the steering wheel did pull a little bit, but I held firm and the car managed to pull through without much drama. That said, I could actually feel the car slow down a bit, so I believe if the puddle was bigger, there might have been a chance that the car would have slowed down enough to be unsettled.

All in all, I'm really happy with these tires so far and hope to be able to test out the Roadstone N8000 tires when these have given up the ghost.

Tire reviewed: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Tire Size: e.g. 235/45/17

Driving Style: Spirited / Highway / City

Dry Handling: Feedback for this tyre from dry handling is not as much as i'd like it to be. but then again, i changed to this set of tyres after using AD08s so I might not yet be used to the reduced grip. I also found lateral grip to be a bit wanting but nothing indecent for wet handling.

Dry Braking: dry braking is also okay in general. same gripes as the dry handling

Wet Handling: this is where the Eagle F1 Asymm 2 really shines. i love the wet grip! lateral grip while not as great as the dry is really decent in the wet compared to other tyres.

Wet Braking: wet braking was also relatively grippy.

Treadwear: 3000kms so far and the threadwear looks pretty ok. as this tyre is asymmetrical folks with more aggressive camber settings will find that the tyre will not last them long, especially if you track. I would like to try them on track soon to better determine the wear rate

Road Noise: Bewarned, you WILL NEED EARPLUGS. these tyres are hell noisy, right out of the box even (and it just gets louder). at first i thought there was an aeroplane flying overhead but then i realised.... no. it's these tyres. remember to turn up the radio volume for the wet grip that you're gonna get.

Tire Reviewed:

Toyo T1-Sport

post-9451-0-66167700-1356013082_thumb.jp

Tire Size:

235/45R17

Test Vehicle:

FD2R

Driving Style:

Dry Handling:

Feedback from the tire is pretty good - sidewalls are reasonably stiff and fast direction changes on S-bends are dispatched without much drama. There is enough flex in the sidewalls to allow for some degree of forgiveness on the limit, while still maintaining sufficient rigidity to handle high speed sweepers. Grip levels are decent when cold and pretty good when they are up to operating temperature, with plenty of feedback all the way till the limit. These tires are confidence inspiring and will allow you to balance the car on the limit of adhesion, without much fear of sudden snapping. Heat handling capability of these tires is commendable for a street tire, having handled a 3hr track day at Pasir Gudang without much fuss.

Dry Braking:

Dry braking is good, with treshold braking exhibiting only a slight tendency to wag the rear wheels. The tires offer plenty of grip when braking hard, even for late braking manouevres. Braking feel is great with sufficient feedback to make trail braking quite easy.

Wet Handling:

Wet grip is decent, with no dramas experienced in my current experience of using these tires. Heavy rain has not posed a major problem to them and they traverse huge puddles without major pulling of the steering wheel - the car will feel like it slows down a bit, but hold the steering wheel firmly and the car will stay true to its course. Slightly damp tarmac at the track was also dispatched with ease once the tires warmed up sufficiently. There was enough feedback to know when the tires felt like they were going to transit into a slide.

Wet Braking:

No emergency situations encountered, but braking in the rain has not caused heart attacks - ABS lockups have been few and far between.

Treadwear:

Tires have been used for daily driving for about 15,000 to 20,000km (-2,2deg camber front, -2.0 deg camber rear, zero toe all around) and subjected to about 20+ to 30 laps at Pasir Gudang on a recent 3hr track day. Rear tires still have plenty of meat left, front tires have plenty of scars to show, but still look like they have about 30 to 40% of life left. I'd say the durability of the compound is pretty decent.

Road Noise:

They're not the quietest tires out there, but I have to say that they're probably the quietest performance tires I've used thus far. I rotated the track-beaten front tires to the back and these tires still don't sound that much louder than they did before the track session. Two thumbs up for a good all-round tire.

3 people like this

Tire Reviewed:

Roadstone N6000 - Recommended by bro Rentabass

Tire Size:

225/45R17

Test Vehicle:

Subaru Impreza TS MY07

Driving Style:

Spirited with Track Sessions

Dry Handling:

Soft Sidewalls, makes for a good trainer set in learning balance. requires smooth and precise input to avoid tyre scrubbing, but very forgiving. Grip levels very consistent in hot and cold weathers and temperatures. very good heat management. Cheap set of tyres for learners in tracking. proves itself in the daily drives too.

Dry Braking:

no dramas here. pretty responsive and highly reactive to driver inputs. if it is asked to stop, it will. 

Wet Handling:

Very decent in the wet. slight steering variations but nothing drastic when going thru puddles of water. pretty grippy at speeds of 90km/h in the wet. 

Wet Braking:

Rare ABS lockups. decently responsive.

Treadwear:

Tires have been used about 10,000km, with 3 track days and counting. been thru bumpy ass roads and poor road conditions in Singapore and Malaysia. The only awful wear are on the tire shoulders, due to the soft sidewalls and poor driving techniques. still have lots of life left on them, est 40% - 50%.

Road Noise:

Very quiet when new, slight noise after well worn in. very acceptable level, able to listen to songs without blasting the radio.

1 person likes this

Bridgestones Potenza S001

Tire Size: 225/45 R17 91Y

Test vehicle: MY05 WRX

Driving Style: Spirited driving. 60%highway 40%city

Dry: Stiff side wall as compare to my current CSC5. Very good dry traction. Hardly even squel when pushed hard. On the street, they grip well from cold and even better when they warmed up, offering decent cornering traction. Giving confidence when taking corner at relatively high speed. Dry braking is good too. Never fail in emergency situations.

Wet: Does fairly well in the wet, but they are not as inspiring as they are in dry. Aquaplaning wasn't much of a problem, but you do feel "floating" when driving above 120km/h on wet road. So it is best to drive with caution in the rain with these tyres. Wet braking again doesnt inspire confidence at all.

Treadwear: Lasted around 25K before I removes them. First rotation was done at 15K. Tyre thread left around 30%.. A bit fast for a tyre with threadwear of 280

Noise: i am suprise with the noise level as they are oem tyres for some high end and supercars.They are quite noisy if you're looking to do quiet cruising. Having said that, the noise level is still bearable. One more important thing to note, these tyres will increase fuel consumption. Don't know why or how, I am suffering 7-10% increment when on these set of tyres.

1 person likes this

Tire reviewed: TOYO T-1Sport

Tire Size: 235/45R18

Driving Style: Spirited / Highway / City --> Daily day to day drive

Tested Vehicle: Subaru WRX JDM MY07

Dry Handling: Recommended by tyre shop, so decided to try on this new tyres which told that is a replacement of the previous T1R, sidewall look solid and stiff and when trying to drive through a curve bend in high speed have found to my surprise a good combination of good grip. 

Dry Braking: Dry braking is excellent, even for late breaking as desire to stop in time.. 

Wet Handling: Also pretty good, when driving through puddle of water steering wheel will not steer left, right and actually can feel the water cut through to the asymmetric tread of the wide grooves and feel the car slow down which this is impt as your car wont skid out.

Wet Braking: Pretty good grip and more confident to brake in wet condition.

Treadwear: Been driving with these set of tyres for less than 3000km thus still can't determine the wear yet. but so far un-noticeable at the moment.

Road Noise: not the quietest nor the loudest but i found it quite acceptable.

** i will still use this set of tyre in term of reasonable pricing and decent expected performance**

1 person likes this

Tire Reviewed:

GT Radial HPY Champiro

Tire Size:

255/35/18

Test Vehicle:

06' 2.5 wrx (m)

Driving Style:

Very spirited when safe.

Dry Handling:

Medium softness sidewall. I'm running abit of stretch on a 9.5' rim, and the feel is excellent. Very responsive in the dry, and does not make you lose confidence in sweeping corners. Have yet to hear it screech on street driving. Grip levels very consistent. Performance in the dry have been making me amazed. In terms of budget tires, it is far better than Federal  595s, and better than my previous set of S1 evos IMHO. Decent priced budget tires for new trackies..

Dry Braking:

Excellent. Takes whatever you give below 100km/h. Running on big 4 pot pro-drives and it has been taking the stopping power well.

Wet Handling:

Decent. Pushed through rainy weather on sweeping corners. Traction and steering feedback is good with no drama. Does not aqua plane as much as the 595s. Goes through puddles confidently with minimal drama. Gives a confident steering control.

Wet Braking:

Rare lock ups. Predictable and controllable.

Treadwear:

Have been told tires would last with a good wear rating, used for 800km so far. All threads still there.

Road Noise:

Middle noise level. Quieter than federal 595s/RSR, slightly similiar to S1 Evo.

Overall, for a decently priced budget tire, it is very pretty much bang for buck for occassional tracking/spirited driving, however for normal street, there would be bearable noise.

1 person likes this