Sign in to follow this  
TurboElmo

Need advice from those who upgraded to conti cars

Dear all,

Between the following 3 contis:

A4 (1.8TFSI)

320i

C180 (1.6 BE)

Which will have on par or better handling, more comfortable drive (noise insulation, road imperfection absorption etc) than a stock Legacy GT?

Just comparing handling issues like stability, cornering, body-roll, shock absorption, road-noise etc.

Thanks for any comments.

I can only say 320i is a very basic car. between 320i and C180, I will say that stability, road-noise and shock absorption, C180 should be better.

No comments for A4 since I have not had the chance to sit in one before.

I can only say 320i is a very basic car. between 320i and C180, I will say that stability, road-noise and shock absorption, C180 should be better.

No comments for A4 since I have not had the chance to sit in one before.

Thks for replying, bro!

my personal opinion n experience...nhv.. noise harshness vibration... conti definitely much better but handling/cornering i prefer the legacy, cos used to awd icon_smile.gif especially when raining... super confident.. ns highway.. 160 kmph in my frens legacy... stock car icon_smile.gif

my personal opinion n experience...nhv.. noise harshness vibration... conti definitely much better but handling/cornering i prefer the legacy, cos used to awd icon_smile.gif especially when raining... super confident.. ns highway.. 160 kmph in my frens legacy... stock car icon_smile.gif

Really thank you for sharing.

Yeah. That was what I was thinking. After being so used to AWD, will I find 2WD too willowy? Test driving those conti cars won't tell me much unless can bring them out to NSHW.

Just contemplating whether worth upgrading to Legacy GT since the price is rather near those conti cars mentioned. And out of the Jap cars, Subaru seems closest to conti in terms of 'solidness' i.e slam-door-test.

The latest Legacy's design looks too bloated. Currently among the contis find the A4 most visually-appealing while trusting the Merz more in reliability. Just not too sure about the handling while most pple seems more impressed by BMW's drivability.

bro, again in my opinion, don wanna make anyone angry, when buying a beemer, whichever model u choose, make sure u choose the one with min 'in line six' engine, of course if you can buy their 'v' engines, even better, but if you choose their 4 pot engine then sianz to me... bmw is famous for their silky smooth in line six!

yes, due to coe, legacy gt pricing is near conti, but u getting the top of the range model with respectable performance/handling... again, if me, i would not go for those particular models u mentioned as they do not suit my style of driving. i frequent ns highway and am used to cruising easily in the above 200 range...

i do not know what kind of driving suits you but if you are into performance, then the models u mentioned may disappoint...but if u are looking at build quality, noise, vibration, harshness & branding... the conti's mentioned are great!!

at the end of the day, please ask yourself what u really want from your ride and stay true to what makes u happiest and puts a smile on yr face when driving!!... as for me, i truly wish to have all e plus points of the conti's, including power, but alas, e conti's i would oive to drive, 335i, s4, are currently beyond my budget icon_smile.gif

Well said bro.

My wife wants the C180.

I prefer a good handling car hence 320i was shortlisted. A4 is in for that in-between sportiness with good build quality. I would have prefered at least a 325 or the RS4 but I'm constrained by budget hence limited to these base conti models. It is like "buying TS when what I want was a WRX" feeling.

The LGT was my target until it put on too much weight.

With the LGT, occasional tracking will most likely be more enjoyable.

Probably can wait till the next LGT's out. Hopefully it is much better looking. If the Best Car jap mag is to be believed, it will look much better.

Thanks bro. Appreciate your frank opinions.

Well said bro.

My wife wants the C180.

I prefer a good handling car hence 320i was shortlisted. A4 is in for that in-between sportiness with good build quality. I would have prefered at least a 325 or the RS4 but I'm constrained by budget hence limited to these base conti models. It is like "buying TS when what I want was a WRX" feeling.

The LGT was my target until it put on too much weight.

With the LGT, occasional tracking will most likely be more enjoyable.

Probably can wait till the next LGT's out. Hopefully it is much better looking. If the Best Car jap mag is to be believed, it will look much better.

Thanks bro. Appreciate your frank opinions.

You looking to buying a new 320i?

If we are talking about 2006-2007 325i and 320i, I can tell you the difference in price is very minimal if you ask me.

I agree with cktay re the 4potters on the BMWs.

If you are going for driving experience, forget the 320s even they may drive better than the audi and merc.

if you die die have to get a beemer, get at least the 323.

the Audi A4 are decent, i assume that the power output is the best amongst the 3 that you've listed, but i just dont quite like the way it drives

Mercs, enough said... be it kompressor or turbo... its cmi icon_razz.gif

P.S my views are extremely biased

hahahahahaha

You looking to buying a new 320i?

If we are talking about 2006-2007 325i and 320i, I can tell you the difference in price is very minimal if you ask me.

Yes bro. Prefer new. Will wait for the F30 to be released and hopefully push the current 3ers price down. If I have to get used, will definitely go for 325. I haven been lurking around sgcarmart too so I know what you mean icon_smile.gif

I agree with cktay re the 4potters on the BMWs.

If you are going for driving experience, forget the 320s even they may drive better than the audi and merc.

if you die die have to get a beemer, get at least the 323.

the Audi A4 are decent, i assume that the power output is the best amongst the 3 that you've listed, but i just dont quite like the way it drives

Mercs, enough said... be it kompressor or turbo... its cmi icon_razz.gif

P.S my views are extremely biased

hahahahahaha

Alright! Glad to hear from the boss himself icon_smile.gif

I have been hearing a lot from my friends about 320i being the TS of BMW.

If upgrading from a Jap FWD probably the 320i will still impress but those who drove 325 and above will not look back.

For Audi's the general feedback is the steering is too mechanical i.e not much feedback.

Think partly why my wife prefers C180 is I won't be inclined to mod and track it.

For me, the C180 is a goodbye to trackdays and mods. While the AMG kit looks cool, I just felt old thinking about driving it.

I personally wants something that I can do a few mods and can track occasionally, while maintaining a fairly comfortable ride.

A good compromise between my wife's wish for more comfortable/luxurious interior and my want for handling could be the A4 (after the stage 1 upgrade icon_twisted.gif )

p.s Know you are biased but glad to hear from a passionate owner of beemer. icon_lol.gif

Yes bro. Prefer new. Will wait for the F30 to be released and hopefully push the current 3ers price down. If I have to get used, will definitely go for 325. I haven been lurking around sgcarmart too so I know what you mean icon_smile.gif

Haha.. Glad you know what I mean. Just up a 19 inch staggered rims on a beemer and you are ready to go.

Alternatively, I was thinking of going for beemer, due to budget same like me, can consider getting a E92 320i, coupe looks good. but like what you mentioned, its bye bye to mods. Cuz NA engine can do nothing much. icon_biggrin.gif

It's kinda amazing how the engineer at BMW can design the E92 so much nicer then E90. And of course E92 handling is definitely much better than a sedan.

nv tried b4 other contis....execpt BMW 520(brand New)!!! was involved with the APEC back in 2009. get to drive one of their 520 n 523.

as compared to LGT, somehow i find the cabin abit smaller than mine LGT. handling wise... well i must said, i m pretty surprised for a stock car.... their handling is pretty good....

took the car at a pretty fast speed during a bend.... i m impressed.

and after that... kena F by one of the incharge.... u driving sport car huh!!!

60.gif60.gif60.gif

Haha.. Glad you know what I mean. Just up a 19 inch staggered rims on a beemer and you are ready to go.

Alternatively, I was thinking of going for beemer, due to budget same like me, can consider getting a E92 320i, coupe looks good. but like what you mentioned, its bye bye to mods. Cuz NA engine can do nothing much. icon_biggrin.gif

It's kinda amazing how the engineer at BMW can design the E92 so much nicer then E90. And of course E92 handling is definitely much better than a sedan.

I have always felt a 2-door 3er looks best. The rear space are very small anyway. The 335i (E92) was the only Beemer both me and my wife like. I would have gladly eat bread everyday for that twin-turbo. Haha.

Would love to have a extended drive in at least a 325 (not just test drive) to see what I've been missing. Probably that will decide for me and even make me get a 2nd-hand one icon_smile.gif

On the other hand is it true that maintenance-wise, beemers have more issues compared to Merz? Especially the 335i?

nv tried b4 other contis....execpt BMW 520(brand New)!!! was involved with the APEC back in 2009. get to drive one of their 520 n 523.

as compared to LGT, somehow i find the cabin abit smaller than mine LGT. handling wise... well i must said, i m pretty surprised for a stock car.... their handling is pretty good....

took the car at a pretty fast speed during a bend.... i m impressed.

and after that... kena F by one of the incharge.... u driving sport car huh!!!

60.gif60.gif60.gif

On the outside, a 5 series looks much bigger than a LGT <MY10. The current LGT is really huge though with the estate version drawrfing even the Outback.

Probably thats why BMW used to call their cars the ultimate driving machine. Brings out the 'Stig' in you. So the delegates that you ferry got vomit anot? Haha.

I have always felt a 2-door 3er looks best. The rear space are very small anyway. The 335i (E92) was the only Beemer both me and my wife like. I would have gladly eat bread everyday for that twin-turbo. Haha.

Would love to have a extended drive in at least a 325 (not just test drive) to see what I've been missing. Probably that will decide for me and even make me get a 2nd-hand one icon_smile.gif

On the other hand is it true that maintenance-wise, beemers have more issues compared to Merz. Especially the 335i.

am on my 2nd beemer.... maintenance wise so far so gd... no issues as YET.. my E82 is coming to 3 yr mark. coincidentally just booked another F10 heeeee

so thats numero quattro icon_redface.gif

am on my 2nd beemer.... maintenance wise so far so gd... no issues as YET.. my E82 is coming to 3 yr mark. coincidentally just booked another F10 heeeee

so thats numero quattro icon_redface.gif

What? F10? 535i? Then you gonna sell your 135i? What a pity... Or you selling away your wife's car?

I think there's quite some promotion going on at PML last two weeks on F10.

What? F10? 535i? Then you gonna sell your 135i? What a pity... Or you selling away your wife's car?

I think there's quite some promotion going on at PML last two weeks on F10.

If u were him, which car u will sell?? 60.gif

60.gif

On the outside, a 5 series looks much bigger than a LGT <MY10. The current LGT is really huge though with the estate version drawrfing even the Outback.

Probably thats why BMW used to call their cars the ultimate driving machine. Brings out the 'Stig' in you. So the delegates that you ferry got vomit anot? Haha.

haaa... nope la... it was before the event where do some dry runs.... familiarise wit the route....

come to think of it... the guy i m ferry.... damn slack..... meeting 9am... ask me go pick him at 9am!!!! icon_eek.gif

n the route was just hotel > Suntec > Hotel... whereas other fellow drivers.... zoo la... birdpark la.... little india.... almost all over the plc..... everytime, i heard over the comm..... where they going i was like... heng man.... mine one slack!!! wahaa..... 60.gif

Bro, if you into Beemer, don got for their 2liter option, unless you really wanna settle in a car that have just enough power, bring you to point A and B...

If you wanna once in a while whack your car, at least go 2.5 liter...

Personally tried 335 & 535, interm of handling, 335 is better as it aim toward younger and more sporty drive. As for 535, although it share the same engine as 335, but handling is a tad toward softer side.. oh ya, it have bmw so call DCC, in Normal, Sport & Sport +.

For Normal, the suspension is at their most comfortable, too comfortable that you hardly felt any road unevenness.. set to sport, the suspension felt is firmer, but still, not those hard type.. passenger will still like it but it handle much better but still cant compare to 335 suspension ( 335 if i remember correctly, don have DCC control )

Oh ya forget to add, if you often travel on NSH, conti car is good..

bmw 335, 535, their suspension setup is mainly for cruising, hence you will feel the car is more planted to the ground during high speed...