Sign in to follow this  
STiTS

Radiator up lorry?

I was driving home last night then I hear a strange noise (can't describe, but it's a very strange noise).

Then not long, oil temp shoot up rocket high (went up to 140 degree plus), and oil pressure dropping. I was very near home, so I stop the car for a while, wait temp go down a bit, continue drive home to park. When I turn off engine, smoke was coming out from the engine bay. So I initially thought something has burst causing engine oil to leak. All these while, the temp on defi was shooting up to 140+ but he dashboard water temp remained normal, WTF!

This morning, I started the car to check oil pressure - it's back to normal, check the dipstick, level of engine oil is near to full so concluded engine oil is not leaking.

So now I suspect is the radiator up lorry. And because of that oil temp shoot up 1st & oil pressure drop because of the high temp.

I left the car at home this morning but is it advisable for me to top up radiator with water, and drive slowly to workshop? Or still safer to get workshop to tow it over? I stay in Jurong but I always go to workshop in AMK, so if possible, I still prefer to go back to my usual workshop in AMK if possible, but not sure if I can drive the car that far without overheating.

Thanks for any advice.

p/s: My ride is MY07 STi, registered in Feb 08, so already 3yrs+, mileage abt 90k.

I was driving home last night then I hear a strange noise (can't describe, but it's a very strange noise).

Then not long, oil temp shoot up rocket high (went up to 140 degree plus), and oil pressure dropping. I was very near home, so I stop the car for a while, wait temp go down a bit, continue drive home to park. When I turn off engine, smoke was coming out from the engine bay. So I initially thought something has burst causing engine oil to leak. All these while, the temp on defi was shooting up to 140+ but he dashboard water temp remained normal, WTF!

This morning, I started the car to check oil pressure - it's back to normal, check the dipstick, level of engine oil is near to full so concluded engine oil is not leaking.

So now I suspect is the radiator up lorry. And because of that oil temp shoot up 1st & oil pressure drop because of the high temp.

I left the car at home this morning but is it advisable for me to top up radiator with water, and drive slowly to workshop? Or still safer to get workshop to tow it over? I stay in Jurong but I always go to workshop in AMK, so if possible, I still prefer to go back to my usual workshop in AMK if possible, but not sure if I can drive the car that far without overheating.

Thanks for any advice.

p/s: My ride is MY07 STi, registered in Feb 08, so already 3yrs+, mileage abt 90k.

better towed bro. simiar incident like urs.

I top up before i left for workshop, near workshop, water temp shoot real high! peak hr, only 2 lane, traffic jam and i persisted in driving to workshop. reached there. mechanics saw my water temp and immediately off my engine.

too late. lol in the end spend more. so advised u to arrange for towing.

bro, be safe, tow to workshop is so much cheaper than engine up the lorry.

this bit of $$ dun save.

rem to get the flat bed type.

Have you changed your radiator hoses before? It could be coolant leaking due to a crack in the old rubber hoses.

As mentioned, best to arrange for towing to prevent any further costly damage.

can i hikack?? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

back in May, one hot afternoon, while driving... the water temp (speedo) shot up to almost the red zone. stopped the car at the carpark.... after while, restart engine, seem ok.

anyway, went to workshop to check it, change those related hoses.... then barely 1 or 2 wks, it shot up again. went back check, cant find any leakage.

so conluded, engine gasket is leaking. changed the gasket back in end July. after collected the car, abt 1 wk later, the water reservior need to top up every 2 days... went back check again. still cant find anywhere that is leaking...

any bros...kena this before?

can i hikack?? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

back in May, one hot afternoon, while driving... the water temp (speedo) shot up to almost the red zone. stopped the car at the carpark.... after while, restart engine, seem ok.

anyway, went to workshop to check it, change those related hoses.... then barely 1 or 2 wks, it shot up again. went back check, cant find any leakage.

so conluded, engine gasket is leaking. changed the gasket back in end July. after collected the car, abt 1 wk later, the water reservior need to top up every 2 days... went back check again. still cant find anywhere that is leaking...

any bros...kena this before?

using stock radiator? Maybe it got minor leak, need to take out, pressure test n check. radiator cap oso maybe another problem due to leaking.

Thks to all. The other nite actuallybthe water temp already shot up very high but I didn't notice until the oil temp warning started. Car already in workshop, keep finger cross. If really burn gasket then really suay...

If engine subjected to high temp due to loss of cooling system ... there can be deeper damage ... dont take risk ... get a tow truck to bring to workshop.

I know. Gasket only abt $200 but the labour is $800...

Anyway, the good news is looks like gasket is ok but need to monitor a few days to make sure really no damage.

Thanks to all bro.

If cylinder head gasket gone, ur car wun idle properly, lose power & u'll lose coolant. If u wanna check if ur cylinder gasket gone or not, open ur radiator cap, then crank start the car. During the point when engine starts running after u crank, if the coolant gush out from radiator, then ur gasket gone liao. If coolant no gush out then ur gasket ok icon_mrgreen.gif

I know. Gasket only abt $200 but the labour is $800...

Anyway, the good news is looks like gasket is ok but need to monitor a few days to make sure really no damage.

Thanks to all bro.

KP, glad ur gasket is not damage. Btw, manage to get ur radiator changed? Hope everything is fine nw. Drive for a few days and monitor.

KP, glad ur gasket is not damage. Btw, manage to get ur radiator changed? Hope everything is fine nw. Drive for a few days and monitor.

Thks Jerry, for your advice the other day. Yup, changed to Koyo & changed all to silicon hoses, damn big hole in pocket... icon_sad.gif

If cylinder head gasket gone, ur car wun idle properly, lose power & u'll lose coolant. If u wanna check if ur cylinder gasket gone or not, open ur radiator cap, then crank start the car. During the point when engine starts running after u crank, if the coolant gush out from radiator, then ur gasket gone liao. If coolant no gush out then ur gasket ok icon_mrgreen.gif

Thks bro. Workshop ask me to run the car hot then open the coolant reservoir to see got bubble or not. So far dun have, keep finger crossed.

Thks Jerry, for your advice the other day. Yup, changed to Koyo & changed all to silicon hoses, damn big hole in pocket... icon_sad.gif

Pls dun thanks me bro. We're here to share. Although ur radiator and silicon cost u a bomb but nw u can go without worries. I believe ur water and oil temp are doing much low nw. Haha... icon_wink.gif