TheDream

Converting Car Seats to Office Chairs

Up! Nice.. now can do the conversion for PS3 owners who play Grand Tourismo! kekek

that would be cool... instead of the wheel base, can attach fixed legs...

that would be cool... instead of the wheel base, can attach fixed legs...

Clap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gifClap.gif i can only diy myself hahaha

u are darn gd bro!

Hi all, just an update.

Remember I mentioned that currently there are usually two types of wheel bases from Ikea's As-Is section?

6249465085_cccc4e77c2_n.jpg 6249464693_10deb58bb6_n.jpg

The one on the right has a bigger wheel base diameter of 60cm while the one on the left has a smaller diameter of 50cm.

After some use, I found that the wheels for the bigger wheel base were not moving as they were supposed to. On dismantling the wheels, I found that the plastic part which the wheels are mounted on had cracked. During my recent trip to Ikea, I found that even the brand new chairs that they were selling with this wheel base could not move smoothly.

Bottom line - maybe you shouldn't buy the bigger wheel base (with the bigger diameter). The smaller one is ok.

As luck would have it, I found a discarded chair at the dumpster and so dismantled its wheel base and put it on the chair which had the faulty wheel base. I actually think it looks better now (^v^)

6440878551_868b967959.jpg

As for the faulty wheel base, I wasn't willing to discard it, cos I paid $34 for it, so I spent another $10 on a Lazy Susan (yeah, from Ikea) and fixed its top to the wheel base. I'm also using the bottom of the Lazy Susan as a coaster :P

6440878809_e3e56a809f_n.jpg

[update Dec 30, 2012:]

The leather on one of the office chairs I used at home have worn out and so I threw it away, keeping the wheels. So I had both chairs with black bases which looked much better.

8325166974_d03abc9c57.jpg

But then again, I recently changed the interior of my car to a "Bride" theme, and have just sold off all my blue alcantara front and rear seats together with the 4 door panels. It's a sad goodbye to these "booster" seats (as my wife called them). But I retained the wheel bases, so maybe there'll be more exciting projects to come... Cheers!

Hi, do you have any intention of selling your converted seat? If so, what is your selling price? Thinking for office use.

Happy New Year

Jake

heh... no lah,... I think it's a bit high for use in office because the base is quite thick. I gave the measurements in my posts... fine for use at home. I'd say it's more comfortable, but probably not as convenient...

Happy New Year!!!