phantom76

MOD AutoWRX gear Knob

89 posts in this topic

Just a small saw with blade for sawing metal - can buy at DIY shops... I bought a Stanley one icon_smile.gif

Oic. Btw cool mod! Nice!!! icon_cool.gif

Dear Bros, thanks for the many responses and PMs, so it's not just me that can't take the stock gear knob icon_wink.gif

Buy the gear knob and shift boot (I believe Miki Marketing here sells: http://www.mikimarketing.com/index.aspx ... ail&ID=115)

They have two colours - chrome satin or black leather. However, I didn't find the shift boot from Miki's website.

Or buy online - I bought from Amazon.com (search for Momo Automatico) though I am not sure if it is cheaper than Miki if you include shipping but USD is low now icon_cool.gif .

For Shift Boot, I'm using the Momo Profile Long (they have the shorter one if your stick is shorter). It's black but you can choose the red/blue/gray stripes.

Damage for me is around S$200+ if you include shipping... but these are genuine Momo stuff so icon_mrgreen.gif

For those of you who are interested to DIY, here's my steps:

• Put your gear in neutral Remove the cover of the gear shift - just have to lift up at the bottom part Unplug the Power/Hold connector (there will be another connector for the cigarette socket but it isn't necessary to remove that - just don't pull the whole console out icon_eek.gif ) Remove the stock gear knob - there are 2 screws behind the knob Once you have removed the screws, just pull out the knob Put in the shift boot then install the knob (follow the paper instructions and there are 3 screws to tighten it against your gear stick) The shift boot screws to the bottom of the knob Pull/wrap the shift boot as low as possible Put back your console (remember to plug in the connector for the Power/Hold switch) and viola icon_exclaim.gif  

There is a catch in that you would need to saw off around 5-8mm (yah mm, NOT cm) as the Momo knob is a bit short to screw onto the shaft itself.

This is for autowrx as we need to depress the button to shift the stick. For TS bros, I don't believe you need to although I can't confirm.

I am happy to assist if you face any problems or need help (I do have some basic tools). Teh on you icon_razz.gif

We can have a mini meet-up near Hougang if there is interest to discuss and show the steps - or hey just to view.

I don't sell the knob/boot nor am I promoting any service - if you like to DIY, then I can definitely share.

Anyone keen can sms/whatsapp me at 9.7.8.2.8.2.5.8.

Thanks.

bro, mind telling me, if i were to buy the stuff myself.. you mind guide me thru of doing all this?

Anyone interested in the momo automatico? From earlier post(way in front), it is indicated that miki sells it for S$180 in Nov 2007. I can find online for US$105 for automatico and US$60 for the momo profile boot without shipping. Checking if they do combine shipping and if they do looking for another person to share the shipping cost.

Got the reply. Combine shipping is US$50. So it will work out to be US$105+US$60+US$25=US$190 per set of momo automatico and momo leather boot with shipping. Potentially might kana GST. Anyone interested? Looking for another person who is interested.

bro, mind telling me, if i were to buy the stuff myself.. you mind guide me thru of doing all this?

Sure, just let me know once you get the items icon_smile.gif

Just a small saw with blade for sawing metal - can buy at DIY shops... I bought a Stanley one icon_smile.gif

Bro actually can saw off more if you want the knob to sit lower right? since once u saw, it will not be reversible.

I am thinking of how much to saw.

Bro actually can saw off more if you want the knob to sit lower right? since once u saw, it will not be reversible.

I am thinking of how much to saw.

Yes you can but I suggest not so much so still can put back the stock one with little mod.

I cut a bit of the tip only and I feel quite ok with the height.

Don't forget your gear stick have to go from P to D1 below so the range is quite a bit, and you might not want to cut too low icon_eek.gif

Proof it can be done DIY. Not difficult at all. Thank you nightCAD for the inspiration to try. Loving it icon_smile.gif

2011-10-18%25252010.08.32.jpg

I know its a bit too late to revive this thread with the number of autorexs being sent to scrapyards. Just bought a renewed COE rex and wonder if there is anyone that can do something like this is still around ?