goric

gear jerk when shifting up

53 posts in this topic

Hi, all. I'm new in this forum. Lately I'm experiencing a very heavy jerk when shifting up from gear 2 to 3. Jerk is very bad as if someone has ramped me from my rear with a bang sound. Send in to Motor Image a few times but still cannot solve. Just to check any exiga owner encounter the same problem and how to solve the problem. Thanks.

Still under warranty?

Any CEL error light coming on?

From the way it sounds, it seems like your torque convertor is out. Still under warranty?

Hi, bro

Unfortunately warranty is over. Sometimes the AT temp will light up, need to restart engine then it goes off.

Will send it for a check up.

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Do check the level of your ATF to see if it is sufficient.

Also, probably it is a good time to flush out the old ATF for new ones.

Do visit other pro-scooby shops for 2nd opinion, pro-scooby shops are very friendly to all scoobies, do feel free to visit them, they might have a cheap and fast fix for you.

1. BKS

2. BMS

3. DTC

4. SPT

5. Edge

6. Vermogen Auto

7. Motec

*workshops not in list of preferential judgements etc. they are strictly at random.

Went to BKS. Ah Keong says that a few exiga also facing the same problem have their control valve changed in his shop and seems ok now.

Hi, bro. The spare part is still on the way from Japan. Likely will arrive next week and get it fixed. Will update you.

hope it manage to solve yr problem..so wats the damage like...

i kene the same as yrs..now on my 4th week to see if problem finally resolved..

get back to me bro

looks like damage going to be about 2 to 3k. hopefully it can solve the problem. if problem not solved, can forsee that it will damage the gearbox anytime then more damage to our pocket.

well for yr info the valve body  is located at the gearbox itself...u can call me and i can tell u wat happen to my car 96624486

Hi, bro. The spare part is still on the way from Japan. Likely will arrive next week and get it fixed. Will update you.

Wat spare part?

Hi bros, its been 2 weeks after I got the valve body changed. Previously will encounter at least to big bang from the gearbox per week, now seems fine and smooth.

To all exiga owners, if you encounter the same problem, get the valve body changed.

I faced this problem recently and is getting worse. Would like to know the damage too.

its best to replace anew valve body if u encounter jerking problem.

outside usually repair but Motorimage will replace a new one ..cost roughly about 2K (thats wat info i get from but best if u reconfirm the pricing)

Hi all, I just had mine changed yesterday at BKS. Cost is about $2.6k. Hopefully can solve the problem. However, I notice there are some light jerk when braking and happen more frequent before the valve body was replaced. Anyone has the same experience?

Might as well get yr valve body upgraded by IPT or something else rather than buying back the stock unit?

Hi.....i just changed mine too......but it is not the valve body. My hippo was send to Tan Chong for diagnosis and found out the valve body was ok. The thing that cause the violent jerking was our gearbox clutch. Torque converter was also checked and was found to be in great shape. 

Will monitor for a few weeks and update you guys. Those who have changed the valve body, can you also feedback here? Thanks

Hi, bought a 2nd hand GT about 3 mths back. Recently I encountered the same problem as goric. Heavy jerk as if something 'exploded' in the car. AT Temp lights up. Gear indicator shows -- instead of D. It all started last month & happened for 4 times already.

What should I do & which workshop should I go to get the best analysis? Pls advise. Many thanks in advance!

U should bring it to ur salesman and tell them abt lemon law. They get it fix. But make sure u tell them u wan to go ur ws

Hi, bought a 2nd hand GT about 3 mths back. Recently I encountered the same problem as goric. Heavy jerk as if something 'exploded' in the car. AT Temp lights up. Gear indicator shows -- instead of D. It all started last month & happened for 4 times already.

What should I do & which workshop should I go to get the best analysis? Pls advise. Many thanks in advance!

Hi debli, it will happen every now and then.......  :wacko:

Bring it back to your salesman and get it replaced........the replacement cost gonna be costly. I believe the warranty includes the engine and the gearbox under the lemon law. By the way, the gear indicator happened to me also before i replace the clutch. I went to DTC for the gearbox repair for your info. Good luck bro.

Just bought a 09 Exiga and found the same problem with Debli. Heavy jerk when shifting up gear. AT Temp lights up with gear indicator shows --. I went to BKS and Ah Keong said it is the valve control. He ordered the valve control and this will cost me $2800. Will update once my car is fixed.