goric

gear jerk when shifting up

60 posts in this topic

bro make sure u replace the the transmission filter too when u change yr transmission oil...

im selling mine used transmission valve body due to wrong diagnose. not all jerking is cause by stuck valve. in the end is the gear clutch problem. anyone need it can sms ninefourthreefivenineonetwotwo

I have changed my valve body control and ATF at Legacy Tecnica Motorsports...

All is well now, good service and great value.

Kudos to Eric for helping me solve my problems! Thanks man!

This is funny because I get some serious ones when coming to a stop -light or in traffic, sat from 2-1 more like engine braking.;)

This is pronounced when on I (has SI drive) on s and s# its not that bad.

Had to use Subaru ATF and slightly improved but not gone completely.

Sh!t..... its my turn now. Jerk when up shift from gear 2 to 3 only when cold (warmed up is ok) ...... thought i could escape this costly issue.

Haiz..... so many things need to do,,,.. on top of this autobox repair (valve body or clutch)..... suspension, bushings, pitch stop mount, etc, etc...

Keong said about $3K to repair..... inflation damn chialat man (2.6K, 2.8K & now about $3K)

10 hours ago, dwoon14 said:

Sh!t..... its my turn now. Jerk when up shift from gear 2 to 3 only when cold (warmed up is ok) ...... thought i could escape this costly issue.

Haiz..... so many things need to do,,,.. on top of this autobox repair (valve body or clutch)..... suspension, bushings, pitch stop mount, etc, etc...

Keong said about $3K to repair..... inflation damn chialat man (2.6K, 2.8K & now about $3K)

Hi Bro,

Now you on Exiga GT? yes long term wise need to replace hardware but for short term can try using new ATF fluid + an additive like the one from Lubeguard https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-Automatic-Transmission-Protectant-2-pack/dp/B075JNV4RJ/ref=zg_bs_15718891_19?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A3DBVQEKQT1QA3AA2RX5

Hey John,

Good to hear from you. Had the Exiga GT about the same time you got your Legacy GT Wagon. Saw your north thailand drive writeup.... nice. How did you manage to run your car on gasohol?

Have tried Lubeguard ATF protectant but it doesn't solve the issue. It lessens the jerks only. Already changed ATF filter and ATF before adding the lubeguard. Guess there's no other choice but to overhaul the tranny since I intend to renew the COE in a year when its due in 1.5 years time. 

You still driving the GT wagon?

15 hours ago, dwoon14 said:

Hey John,

Good to hear from you. Had the Exiga GT about the same time you got your Legacy GT Wagon. Saw your north thailand drive writeup.... nice. How did you manage to run your car on gasohol?

Have tried Lubeguard ATF protectant but it doesn't solve the issue. It lessens the jerks only. Already changed ATF filter and ATF before adding the lubeguard. Guess there's no other choice but to overhaul the tranny since I intend to renew the COE in a year when its due in 1.5 years time. 

You still driving the GT wagon?

Hey,

Ahh since your already tried Lubeguard, then yeah, no choice but to go for the overhaul. Mine's probably gonna require it down the line too.

Yep, still got the LGTW. Renewed COE last year.

Re North Thai, I think the main issue was the Ron (91 and 95 in thai) as E10 is easy to get. I stayed away from E20 and E85(!). Most of the time I could get E10 Ron 95. Only had to pump E10 Ron91 once. I'm using Ecutek racerom, which has two maps. One tuned on Ron 97, the other is tuned conservatively on SPC Ron92. Climbing up Don Inthanon (8k+ feet) was also a concern but I just took it easy on the way up.

hey guys, i read on the LGT forums about this problem before.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-tranny-issues-shifting-slippingi-157740.html?t=157740&highlight=5eat

One of the solution they said was to reset the TCU (transmission control unit), which was to let the GB learn the gear shifting codes. The jerk up was thought to be a code problem. 

Anyone have thoughts about this?

Anyway yes BKS quoted 3k for the overhaul. with some strengthening of the gb internals to handle more power.. I read there is this mod/strengthening on the valvebody which makes the gear change faster like a DSG, which Im interested to know where is able to do it? 

prev auto rex pre owned, gear shifting was thought to be normal for a rex.. shifting can be felt a little jerky.

didn't care less and continue driving until one day, auto gear cannot engage to second gear and can't climb mscp slope... it just slipped at half slope on a mscp.  Overhauled gear box.

currently another auto rex, the gear shifting was entirely different feel.

although different generation, so can't really confirm if it's improvement or what.

but definitely if you mentioned jerky shifting, better be aware.