goric

gear jerk when shifting up

I am also having the 09 model...the gear jerk thingy happen only recently few month back, had owned the car since new.  The jerk on the gear I have is only happen when engine is cold and during the shift from 3rd to 4th gear for the first time.  After that it won't happen until the engine is cold down. 

Last month just send it in to motor image to check... no error code was found.  However, if I warm the engine long enough and i control the throttle during the first gear change of the day it won't jerk as much as I just drive normally. 

Oh wow. Thanks for the info. For mine I recently discover the jerk only when down shifting when come to halt at traffic lights. So far it happen twice. But during hard driving so such issues yet.

Anyways, Joebhoh ask you a side question. Does your car have the in-car headlights adjustment?

I had the jerk down shifting since it's new, however the jerk is very light, so I didn't bring this up.  No my car does not have the in car headlight adjustment.

I had the jerk down shifting since it's new, however the jerk is very light, so I didn't bring this up.  No my car does not have the in car headlight adjustment.

bro mine too had this slight jerk...then it become frequent and then get worse...have it chk b4 it get worse..

I am also having the 09 model...the gear jerk thingy happen only recently few month back, had owned the car since new.  The jerk on the gear I have is only happen when engine is cold and during the shift from 3rd to 4th gear for the first time.  After that it won't happen until the engine is cold down. 

Last month just send it in to motor image to check... no error code was found.  However, if I warm the engine long enough and i control the throttle during the first gear change of the day it won't jerk as much as I just drive normally. 

bro be honest with u..no use sending there (M.....)  i did that and their so call senior also can't locate the problem)...if they did manage to find the problem..it would be very very costly because they usually dont repair but replace..so my advise go to reputable pro subaru shop like BMS or BKS to have them chk.

I really recommend you people to have a Transmission Cooler installed. Our climate is extremely hush on any transmission regardless NA or Turbo or Supercharged.

You won't regret it.

For those who are experiencing a "little" jerking problem, flush your transmission and Torque oil if you have not done it regularly. Typically, both fluids are changed every 80K-100K. But I recommend doing it 40-60K as your car gets older. If you can, put in a transmission additive too. It will help a lot!

Hi, I am also having this issue when shifting up from 2nd to 3rd.

Opinions are split when I ask around whether it is a clutch or control valve issue. 

Personally, i would think it is the control valve. 

Any advise?

Anyone explored changing to a 3rd party control valve?

Hi people,

I am new but have driven the Exiga 2.0GT for more than a year. Also encountered the same issue more than 6 months ago. Spent about $2k plus to replace the valve body. So far never encountered issue again.

Anyone know where I can get spare parts (rear light unit)? The plastic cracked cos I hit something while reversing.

Hi people,

I am new but have driven the Exiga 2.0GT for more than a year. Also encountered the same issue more than 6 months ago. Spent about $2k plus to replace the valve body. So far never encountered issue again.

Anyone know where I can get spare parts (rear light unit)? The plastic cracked cos I hit something while reversing.

wonder why u need to replace the valve bodies. 

shifting is affected by the solenoids installed in the valve bodies, by right...just need to change the spoilt solenoids...

Hi Icasub,

I changed my valve body last year and just recently encountered the some problem as you. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd seems unsmooth and only happen in the morning once. As from my experience, the jerk caused by valve body fault will happen anytime of the day even engine is hot.