relax0101

Power steering

28 posts in this topic

Mybforester the power steering fluid is always emptying itself.... when start driving always have very loud noise and vibration..... when i top up the oil as long as have oil the sound not there....what can be issue ya.....asked 1 shop said power steering rack prob.... so asking u all any1 has this issue

Had the same issue in the past. Kept topping up the steering fluid every month. Then discovered there was a leak. Got it sorted out and everything is fine so far

Had the same issue in the past. Kept topping up the steering fluid every month. Then discovered there was a leak. Got it sorted out and everything is fine so far

Which workshop bro n how much

my power steering pump leaking for more than 2 yrs already... just constant topping loh... car left 1 more yr...

Bro, how did you sort it out?

yes curious how it was solved. forums got ppl just change 100plus-dollar seal settled alr. but the workshop i asked says need to change pump and all. would be good if fellow scooby bros can share on how to determine severity of damage and wad needs to be changed...

yes curious how it was solved. forums got ppl just change 100plus-dollar seal settled alr. but the workshop i asked says need to change pump and all. would be good if fellow scooby bros can share on how to determine severity of damage and wad needs to be changed...

Depends on how bad your leak is. Mine was leaking quite bad until timing belt covers stained with ps fluid, and ac belts started squeaking. No choice had to recon ps pump for $3XX.. Problem solved once and for all.

ok my workshop diagnosed my power steering rack to be leaky, and i just got it repaired today. hope it solves the problem. if not workshop says could be power steering pump needs changing.

ok my workshop diagnosed my power steering rack to be leaky, and i just got it repaired today. hope it solves the problem. if not workshop says could be power steering pump needs changing.

Hmmm.. you mean your workshop cant tell you if it's the power steering rack or pump that is faulty?

they say its either or. means if steering rack fixed alr and the problem still exists means its the pump...

When the juice at the PS pump starts to leak there, you can tell.

2 years back was the inlet rubber pipe from reservoir to the pump had hardened, so changed pipe.

The leak came back a few months ago and you can search for the o ring size they use. I bought a back of 10 nitrile o rings from the UK for 2 pound sterling and just installed it on Tuesday. Pluck out the inlet pipe at the PS pump and replace the hardened O ring. Done during normal servicing and it was like a one minute job. No charge, just replace and top up the fluid.

There's something about nitrile o rings, the ang moh forums all say must use that, not normal rubber ones. Now ok, no leak and ready to race.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I'm good to go. The PS pump feels 100% now.

These O rings solved the problem. 10mm internal diameter by 2mm thick nitrile O rings.

The videos related to this are below,

post-18565-0-21444100-1396075486_thumb.j

post-18565-0-91552100-1396075512_thumb.j

No lah, I didn't DIY it. My mechanic did it for me during my regular oil change.  Very fast. Pull out, replace, pop in twist to the left, top up PS fluid, twist to the right, top up PS fluid, check for bubbles. Spray clean to check for leakage.

The o rings I got off eBay. Many sizes have been tried by different people. Even when you rebuild, the workshops have a box with individual compartments with all the different o rings inside. Sometimes they agar agar the right size. 

For me so far so good. Nice and dry over the PS pump.

The pro Scooby ones are the best. BKS at Admiralty, BMS, BKS at AMK, Edge, SPT. Just to name a few.