hongray29

Wet Road Reduced after changing Springs

7 posts in this topic

"Wet Road Traction Reduced after changing Springs"

Hi Bros, 

I would like to ask for advice about upgrading springs.

My stock springs have been replaced with Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs just 1 week ago.

Alignment were done in the workshop.

The spring feels hard and improved handling in dry roads. However when the road is slightly wet or raining, even driving into a moderate bend below speed limit can cause the front wheels to lose grip. 

At expressways, driving at 45-50KM/H at exit bends can cause all 4 wheels to start losing and regaining traction momentarily. 

I feel very unsafe with this car when on wet weather. Is this normal when springs are upgraded?

Bro. Check ur alignment camber and toe settings. Could very well be the cause of your car's new found nervousness.

1 person likes this

The spring rate is too hard for the valving in your stock shocks. The oil or gas in the shock cylinder helps to absorb and dampen the simple harmonic motion (SHM) of the springs. Because of the harder spring rate the oil or gas inside can't do the job properly, that's why you're effectively driving a pogo stick now. The local roads are undulating so every bump causes your spring to react, this causes your wheel to lift thus causing loss of traction.

I'm not a big fan of lowering springs cos of the weird roll centre changes and of course the spring rates can't match the shock valving. You know why the companies increase the spring rates on lowered springs right? So there's less chance of your car bottoming out.

The best upgrades are coilovers or an entire set of shock/spring combo that are specifically matched to your car.

Elijahbaley, well said. Stronger springs should be matched with improved shocks. Try to get the full set from the same brand/model. The good brands should have done their R&D to match the spring rates and damping rates.

That is why, at Pedders, the shocks and springs are matched during R&D.

Give me a toot if you need Pedders shocks/springs or coilovers.

Text me at 98388467.

where did u do your alignment bro? anyway i am on tein stechs too and i have no such problems...

Bro I did my alighnment at Johor Bukit Indah tyre workshop.

They used computerised alignment where by reflective plates were placed at each wheel then it is detected by a computer camera in front.

Bro I did my alighnment at Johor Bukit Indah tyre workshop.

They used computerised alignment where by reflective plates were placed at each wheel then it is detected by a computer camera in front.

how abt ur camber and toe? u got the alignment result?

last time my S-tech also dun had this problem even when the front are leaking.