Horse Face

New Outback 2015 Owners

61 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, muser said:

You're welcome. When you do get your OB, share your experiences and photos with us in our SOLS Facebook Group (fb.com/groups/obleg) and/or WhatsApp group chat.

Like I said, the aircon's fine but the free solar Autotint solar film from MI is mediocre so if you park under the sun a lot, you might want to consider upgrading your solar film or getting magnetic laser shades.

I will be glad to share my experience with all of you. Btw, do you have any recommendations on solar film? I prefer a cool car. My current Civic cools down the cabin real fast.

On 05/06/2017 at 8:49 PM, Outbacker said:

I will be glad to share my experience with all of you. Btw, do you have any recommendations on solar film? I prefer a cool car. My current Civic cools down the cabin real fast.

I'm no expert on solar film, but I replaced the stock Autotint film with Infratint's top film and am very happy with the significant improvement. Infratint's one of the more expensive options, of course, and there are many other alternatives. I almost went with 3M for about the same price, but their top Crystalline film has no tinting and I prefer a darker tint. I was also sorely tempted by the pricing of Zen, whose top tint is almost half the price of Infratint's top tint. But based on reviews from bros, I decided to pay more for - hopefully - the very best quality, and some assurance of customer service, which I'm always willing to pay extra for; ymmv. I have no affiliation with Infratint. Other bros in our WhatsApp group have had good experiences with everything from Zen to Groomer's Lab.

On 14/06/2017 at 3:00 PM, muser said:

I'm no expert on solar film, but I replaced the stock Autotint film with Infratint's top film and am very happy with the significant improvement. Infratint's one of the more expensive options, of course, and there are many other alternatives. I almost went with 3M for about the same price, but their top Crystalline film has no tinting and I prefer a darker tint. I was also sorely tempted by the pricing of Zen, whose top tint is almost half the price of Infratint's top tint. But based on reviews from bros, I decided to pay more for - hopefully - the very best quality, and some assurance of customer service, which I'm always willing to pay extra for; ymmv. I have no affiliation with Infratint. Other bros in our WhatsApp group have had good experiences with everything from Zen to Groomer's Lab.

Thanks a lot for the very informative post. I would definitely put these into consideration if I want to upgrade my solar film after I try out solar film from MI.

Hi, 

Got my ride 2 wks ago and generally I am happy with it except I notice 2 minor problems. 

1. Whenever I lift up my foot from gas pedal and then put my foot back, I feel there is a noticeable jerk.  It happens all the time. Is this normal or there is some problems with the throttle? 

2. When I rev up from stop, there is a jerk (like someone gives u a push from behind)   when rpm is bet 2-3k rpm. I feedbacked to SE and he says it is the characteristic of OB CVT which drives like a AT. I have never experienced this is my previous Civic. Do you folks experience the same? 

So far the MI solar film is acceptable to me. Maybe the temperature has been cool so it did get go through some serious testing. 

3 hours ago, Outbacker said:

Got my ride 2 wks ago and generally I am happy with it except I notice 2 minor problems.

Congrats on your new ride! Glad you're mostly happy with it. 

1. Although the stock ECU throttle map has many flat spots, the initial bite is relatively sensitive, especially in S Mode, so you might need to train your right foot to be gentler. Also, S Mode tries to maintain cruising revs at 2k rpm so of course when you get back on the throttle, you're already at 2k so there's a bit of a jerk. 

2. Subaru's Lineartronic CVT is indeed an automatic gearbox. And even though it's not a conventional AT, it still does use a locking torque converter the slips before it locks. CVTs tend to slip more than most auto transmissions so when the torque converter does lock, there'll be a jerk as power is finally more directly transferred to the wheels. CVT slip can be reduced with an ECU tune. 

On 02/07/2017 at 5:35 PM, muser said:

Congrats on your new ride! Glad you're mostly happy with it. 

1. Although the stock ECU throttle map has many flat spots, the initial bite is relatively sensitive, especially in S Mode, so you might need to train your right foot to be gentler. Also, S Mode tries to maintain cruising revs at 2k rpm so of course when you get back on the throttle, you're already at 2k so there's a bit of a jerk. 

2. Subaru's Lineartronic CVT is indeed an automatic gearbox. And even though it's not a conventional AT, it still does use a locking torque converter the slips before it locks. CVTs tend to slip more than most auto transmissions so when the torque converter does lock, there'll be a jerk as power is finally more directly transferred to the wheels. CVT slip can be reduced with an ECU tune. 

Muser,

Thanks for the reply.

Went to MI for my 1K servicing. Told them my above problems and they were not able to find anything wrong as what I expected. Was disappointed.

On 07/07/2017 at 8:44 PM, Outbacker said:

Muser,

Thanks for the reply.

Went to MI for my 1K servicing. Told them my above problems and they were not able to find anything wrong as what I expected. Was disappointed.

Well, MI isn't big on solving problems, especially for customers who are still claiming free servicing. 

Also, frankly, your issues don't sound like problems that MI can solve since they are consequences of the stock ECU rom (throttle and fuel curves, etc, such has a flat spot at the 2k-3k rpm range you're complaining about), as well as the nature of Subaru's CVT (at least in conjunction with the stock rom). You get engine braking in S Mode. There's no way around it and will cause jerking if you treat it like a regular AT and lift off the throttle, then get on it again. And stock I Mode is a huge power cut from stock S Mode. 

If it bugs you enough, I recommend an ECU tune after you've run the car in properly, because that's the only thing that can alter the car's fundamental driving characteristics.

20 hours ago, muser said:

Well, MI isn't big on solving problems, especially for customers who are still claiming free servicing. 

Also, frankly, your issues don't sound like problems that MI can solve since they are consequences of the stock ECU rom (throttle and fuel curves, etc, such has a flat spot at the 2k-3k rpm range you're complaining about), as well as the nature of Subaru's CVT (at least in conjunction with the stock rom). You get engine braking in S Mode. There's no way around it and will cause jerking if you treat it like a regular AT and lift off the throttle, then get on it again. And stock I Mode is a huge power cut from stock S Mode. 

If it bugs you enough, I recommend an ECU tune after you've run the car in properly, because that's the only thing that can alter the car's fundamental driving characteristics.

Muser, 

i will seriously consider going for ECU tune if it can resolve most of the problems. Thanks! 

2 days ago, my wife has the fright of her life when our OB moved off diagonally from traffic light (car was stopped) into the middle lane (she was on the right lane). The steering wheel was off-center (about 1 o'clock) while waiting at the traffic light. When she wanted to move off, she felt the steering wheel was locked and she could not turn it. She applied gas the car swerved to the left instead of right (steering wheel was 1 o'clock). 

It was such a scary experience. Did other owners have similar experience?

I sent the car in for a check. MI did a diagnostic test and no error code (expected). Then they feedbacked to Subaru Japan and was advised to do Pak file upload (update the TCM). However, MI was not able to explain what caused this steering problem and how the Pak file corrected the problem. We left MI as an unhappy and disappointed customer. My OB is only a mth old. 

Do I have a case to ask for a refund or replacement?

On 15/07/2017 at 7:56 PM, Outbacker said:

2 days ago, my wife has the fright of her life when our OB moved off diagonally from traffic light (car was stopped) into the middle lane (she was on the right lane). The steering wheel was off-center (about 1 o'clock) while waiting at the traffic light. When she wanted to move off, she felt the steering wheel was locked and she could not turn it. She applied gas the car swerved to the left instead of right (steering wheel was 1 o'clock). 

It was such a scary experience. Did other owners have similar experience?

I sent the car in for a check. MI did a diagnostic test and no error code (expected). Then they feedbacked to Subaru Japan and was advised to do Pak file upload (update the TCM). However, MI was not able to explain what caused this steering problem and how the Pak file corrected the problem. We left MI as an unhappy and disappointed customer. My OB is only a mth old. 

Do I have a case to ask for a refund or replacement?

I'm sorry your wife had such a fright, and I hope you get the matter sorted out to your satisfaction.

I've asked around and neither I, nor any other current-gen Legacy or Outback owners, have experienced anything similar.

Before your wife moved off, was the gear shifter in P or N at any point?

What did she do after the car swerved? In other words, how did she regain normal steering control?

Do you know if MI looked at any physical components, eg, alignment, front anti-roll bar, front tie rods, etc?

What do you plan to do?

9 hours ago, muser said:

I'm sorry your wife had such a fright, and I hope you get the matter sorted out to your satisfaction.

I've asked around and neither I, nor any other current-gen Legacy or Outback owners, have experienced anything similar.

Before your wife moved off, was the gear shifter in P or N at any point?

What did she do after the car swerved? In other words, how did she regain normal steering control?

Do you know if MI looked at any physical components, eg, alignment, front anti-roll bar, front tie rods, etc?

What do you plan to do?

The gear was at "D" while she was at traffic light. 

After the car swerved, she kept pressing and unpressing the ebrake and the car returned to normal steering condition.

We plan to write in to Subaru for our desired resolution. If Subaru does not respond, we will involve CASE and apply the "lemon" law.

Thanks for asking around and do be careful while driving.