nerd

Rusty system

Guys I got some questions that needed help.

I recently got my car to workshop to do an overhaul due to head gasket fried, when the workshop took out the engine the workshop found my block cracked thus changed my whole blocK.

Initially I found out the problem was because of the coolant turns into tea color and also overheating issues.

So now the car is back and then the coolant seems to be also like tea. Workshop says it is due to the previous coolant tank and system stuff is rusty that's why the coolant is also tea color now as the coolant runs and then becomes tea color. They say that it will be alright after the next servicing as they will do a flush to the coolant.

Is this true?? Do I have to do anything to make sure it is alright?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sorry really need some help from fellow bros here.

If there's a need I will go to other workshop to check! Anyone can advice?

Sorry for so many questions too :)

if your radiator and hoses have no leak, tears or damages then u should b safe, check your radiator tank or reservoir to c if coolant is near the indicator...check your temperature when it is engine is hot and no over heating issues then it means workshop has solved your problem...

As for the reddish brown coolant, I would do the flush ASAP instead of waiting for the next servicing..do also check the fluid when they drained your radiator and if u c oil then it is a sign of engine defect...good luck

I think the core of your radiator has rusted. It is not unheard of. But to set your mind at ease - monitor your water temperature and leakage points. Bottom line is: if it's doing its job, then you're still ok.

I don't see any overheating issues for now and my radiator is new caused the aluminum one gave way (dk true or not some say aluminum won't break) haissss..... But the coolant is worrying me.

To ask another question is it normal for my engine to be like this? (When start the rpm is like haywire then the engine is like gonna stall anytime and also the engine shakes a lot. Then also there's so much pop and crackle when engaging first and second gear.

My koyorad full aluminium leaked after 2.5 years at the bottom joint. For the rust, most engines will have this if tap water is topped up too often instead of coolant. Like mentioned by other Bros, as long as the temp is OK, then the cooling system is doing its job. Best to check with a gauge from the obd port as the common consensus is if the dash water temp indicator is in the red zone, it is probably too late and has overheated too drastically.

I'm surprised that the coolant wasn't drained off or flushed completely when u got a new rad. Just monitor and see. I hope by have a decent water temp gauge.

Pop and crackle sounds like breakfast cereal haha.

Erratic idle rpm could be due to a variety of things. Demodded tune is one. Maybe a dirty or faulty maf sensor, tb, many things in the electronics. Either troubleshoot through elimination or bring back to a workshop.

it is rather strange that the workshop did not mentioned anything about the erratic rpm...I think u should go back to the workshop that does your overheating issues and get them to do a thorough check and as grumpy duck has mentioned earlier it could b a variety of issues...by the way is your workshop a pro Scooby one?

Hi bros thanks for all the reply!

As for the water temp it will fluctuate slightly very minimal and never exceeds certain level which I monitor. When I make a corner the temp will rise then drop back to the normal level is it normal?

Every morning I will open up the top and bottom as well as the radiator there is always water so I think the problem for overheat should be resolved. Previously there's lost of coolant workshop told me its head gasket run place...

They told me it is normal for Subaru car to experience this type of erratic rpm. And said something about tuning.. I tot even without tuning the rpm should not be so erratic and my car is popping and cracking non stop. Idk is it okay or not but the workshop told me engine running very rich and didn't really tell me how to solve other than tuning.... (THEY ARE NOT A SCOOBY PRO WS WHEN BACK FOR roughly 6 times to solve one issue which is overheating)

So for now I should just flush out the coolant and monitor?? Also get the engine check by other workshop for erratic rpm?

Just head straight to a pro Scooby workshop. No point going to your current workshop who can't seem to solve your problem. Another issue, if your cooling system has a air pocket, it could get stuck at the water pump and your thermostat will not open causing overheating.

So You guys think that there are still issues for the car?? Like the cornering temp rise a bit?

I also damn stress buy the car park it at workshop for 1 month. :(

Another thing idk whether the car can go for tuning or not cause dk the engine can take it not.

I was thinking if the overheating issues comes back then I will go to pro scooby workshop alr!

just visit a pro Scooby workshop that is nearer to your home and c what they say n the best part is it free...

most of the pro Scooby workshops guys are friendly n they wouldn't hanky panky n get their reputation stormed in the forums..by the time u wait for your overheating problems to come back other problems would have surfaced and you gonna have a bigger headache...good luck

Bro SGTenacious thanks for your advice i think i will get it done during the weekends! if not really like what you say bigger headache! :)

got so much more to learn! 

Any good place to recommend for road tune?

Haha bro noted! I think I should concentrate on getting my current issue done before I go to tune the car or do other stuff! :)

Thank you so much everyone for the info :) will update the post once I rectify the problem! Haha

Tuning doesnt only means making your car more powerful.. It can means putting ur car back to the right state.. Ur car maybe tuned based on the previous owner setup before he demodded.. Sometimes water temp or engine temp rises is due to the previous tune sets the fan to come in later.. Also popping sounds means you are running too rich, burning too much fuel... Erratic idling maybe due to the idling valve timing.. even if you fixed your hardware, problem still will be there as the tuning is wrong... 

too many chefs might spoil the broth...I reckoned u do your research n short list some pro Scooby workshops of your liking and hear from the experts cause what we r all doing here is only speculating and we didn't get to view your ride and our judgements might have flaws in it...a rule of thumb is to visit more pro Scooby workshops for opinions if u have doubts until u r finally convinced..cheers

Hi guys as promised I will update this thread the rusty coolant was rectify. The coolant was flushed and the coolant now is clear and there is no overheating issues with the car. Also did a dyno tune for my car now it is running smooth and the popping and cracking is gone fuel consumption is better than before all is good for the car so happy to have things rectify and checked by Subaru pro workshop to have a peace of mind! Now car is running smooth! Haha thanks all bros for your inputs and hope to see you all on the roads or meet ups :)

Drive safe bros :)