m@verick

Solar Film from MI

28 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Does anyone know the brand of the solar film that MI offers to new potential buyers as a freebie?

Cheers.

nothing branded.. you better off having it not installed. really lousy tint that they gave.

Ask for a rebate from your SE. you are likely going to get $50 back for not having them put any tint on your car. 

Haha thanks for the honest reply.

I was still thinking that maybe I can ask for V-Kool, HuperOptik or 3M films.

But $50 is really quite pathetic. I'd rather they help me install their in-house tint first, then slowly shop around for a better tint down the road.

haha.. dont bother.. u should try sitting in any of the new cars that were recently collected... 

my 8 yr old wrx with cheap tint is cooler than my new forester tint.. its really not worth it... bear in mind that you will probably have to pay another $50-$80 for the shop to remove your current tint before they can put on new tint... 

As i park in the sheltered carpark most of the time, i have not changed the tint... will definitely do that soon.. 

May I know what is the problems with the stock tint.? Is it the finishing quality like streaks, bubbles, wavy image or is it just doesn't work as in reducing heat or UV? Considering if I should install or not. Thanks

The solar film brand MI uses is Autotint. I know, never heard of them either.

For what it's worth though, I'm okay with it. Really depends on your expectations and benchmarks. On my 2016 Legacy, it's no worse than the Rikecool film on my previous 8-year-old Kia Cerato. In fact, I'd even say it's a little better, which is good enough for me. No bubbles or installation blemishes either. As with most car stuff, ymmv.

1 person likes this

Thanks for your info. In that case, I will just let them install and try it out. Nothing much to lose.

Thanks for your info. In that case, I will just let them install and try it out. Nothing much to lose.

Let us know what you think.

Installed the free autotint provided by MI...it serves its function when driving along the roads and highways. However when you park your car in the sun for more than an hour, the interior becomes a furnace during to poor IR rejection rate.

Probably will continue to use it for a while more (or at least until bubbles start to appear) before I switch to a more reputable brand. 

44 minutes ago, m@verick said:

Installed the free autotint provided by MI...it serves its function when driving along the roads and highways. However when you park your car in the sun for more than an hour, the interior becomes a furnace during to poor IR rejection rate.

Probably will continue to use it for a while more (or at least until bubbles start to appear) before I switch to a more reputable brand. 

Which model are you driving? I've actually had okay results under the sun, though I always use a thick dashboard visor too, which covers my entire windscreen from the inside. Maybe that helps more than I realised.

I can feel the heat on my arms and legs driving under hot sun with the free autotint by MI. Anybody can confirm the film on windscreen and front side windows are how many %? planning to go 50% on these 3 windows and keep the 35% at the rear. Would 50% infront 35% rear attract fines easily?

On 12/08/2016 at 7:43 PM, sneakgeek said:

I can feel the heat on my arms and legs driving under hot sun with the free autotint by MI. Anybody can confirm the film on windscreen and front side windows are how many %? planning to go 50% on these 3 windows and keep the 35% at the rear. Would 50% infront 35% rear attract fines easily?

Don't know about you. I would not feel comfortable driving around having not enjoying my drive, constantly wondering whether I'd be fined or not ........ esp. when a police/lta rider passes by.

Get a good quality film, and you'd not have this issue. 

Do note : in the cabin, solar films left after some time enough in the sun will be hot. It's like a tap left to a trickle. Left long enough will fill a whole bucket. Same with heat from sun.

Just to add .........

Having a cheap film that will allow only 10% light (ie, very, very dark) up front, may not be better (in fact, could be worse) and a good film that permits 75% of light through? It because those good solar film can filter out almost 99% of harmful UV rays, and some even rejecting up to  97% of heat producing infra-red radiation? Effectively blocking out approx 60% of the heat coming through the windows? This whilst still ale to let you drive with windows that are not blacked out.

Go check around. If want to spend money and get things done. Do it without having to constantly worrying about cops. You want to enjoy your ride, for all the $$$ spent!

Cheers!

Edited by SubaThrill
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, SubaThrill said:

Go check around. If want to spend money and get things done. Do it without having to constantly worrying about cops. You want to enjoy your ride, for all the $$$ spent!

I'd definitely agree that if you can get what you want within regulations, then that's the way to go simply for peace of mind. There's a lot to be said for stress-free driving and parking.

On 24 August 2016 at 10:15 PM, Uncle Boris said:

Just supplement with sun shade as and when needed. Stress and worry free. 

Yes, but don't get me started about Laser Shade not supporting my model yet 😡 I know, I know, just use any old shade, which I do. But I want swee swee fit. Too much to ask meh?

1 minute ago, muser said:

Yes, but don't get me started about Laser Shade not supporting my model yet 😡 I know, I know, just use any old shade, which I do. But I want swee swee fit. Too much to ask meh?

Why they so bad!!! :(

4 minutes ago, Uncle Boris said:

Why they so bad!!! :(

Actually, they are already testing prototypes for BN9 but no ETA yet. Impatient lah 🤐

Hi Uncle Boris,

Where do you procure the sun shade from? Could you share your contact?

Regards

14 hours ago, Creepysg said:

Hi Uncle Boris,

Regards

Mine are just those supermarket type.... 

14 hours ago, Creepysg said:

Hi Uncle Boris,

Regards

And Daiso type too..... it's really useful.

P_20161112_114310_1_pa.jpg

I though your is the groovy car sunshade. Seem like a good idea and cheaper. :D Thanks for sharing.

Laser Shades from Hock Cheong, a bit ex but fit well and magnetized

MI used Hyper21 ( www.hyper21.org/ ) Autotint