muser

Legacy 2.5 i-S BN9 driver says hi

14 posts in this topic

Since there seems to have been a slight bump in activity in this forum after the software upgrade announcement, I might as well say an official hello, though this isn't my first post.

I drive an MY2016 Legacy 2.5 i-S. It's my first Subaru. Bought it earlier this year. Never thought I'd ever buy a Subbie since I'm quite a boring guy, and always thought of Subbies as too sporty and exciting for me. Almost bought a Kia Optima K5, Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6 or Ford Mondeo instead. Which goes to show how different the demographics are for BN9 owners versus pretty much every other generation of Legacy.

It's a value-for-money mid-sized family sedan, which seems to be attracting mid-sized sedan shoppers. That's a far cry from the traditional Legacy demographic of WRX owners looking for more family-friendly space, or at least that's the stereotype I've heard (I'm no expert). The BN9 is probably the rarest current-gen Subaru on the roads, which is fine with me except for the fact that there isn't much BN9 discussion going on here. In fact, I haven't found a single BN9-related post on SCS. I guess this is the first then. The Legacy/Legacy GT section's all about BL (love the BL rear, btw) and BR guys dekitting or looking for parts. Anyway, hi everyone.

My natural inclination would've been to get the Dark Grey, but my kids like Venetian Red Pearl:

MySubaruLegacy2016-front.JPG

Edited by muser
3 people like this

@muser hey bro and welcome to SCS. car is looking great. any mods planned?

enjoy your ride in good health!

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, snsd555 said:

@muser hey bro and welcome to SCS. car is looking great. any mods planned?

enjoy your ride in good health!

Thanks for the welcome, bro!

I got a lot of cheap interior trim stuff from TB and Rakuten, plus original Subaru US cargo nets and hooks for my boot. Paddle shifter extensions from Stark Performance in the US. 

Been doing a lot of research on soundproofing, which I'll probably do at some point. Horn has too much beep and not enough honk, so I'm eyeing a Hella red Supertone or something similar. 

Performance-wise, I'm actually very happy, which is just as well since there's not a lot you can cost-effectively do to a 2.5NA. Suspension's fine. But the brakes are the weak spot. I expected more from Subaru. Lacking in bite, feel and modulation. Maybe some new pads will fix that. 

21 minutes ago, Uncle Boris said:

I've always liked the "FULLNESS" look of the Legacy. 

Looks aside, the Legacy never quite had the interior room - especially rear legroom - to grab my attention till the current BN9 gen. I know, it's a very uncle criterion, but I'm quite uncle. And I need enough space to make it difficult for my kids to kick the back of my seat, hahah. 

29 minutes ago, Safety First said:

swee

Thanks! What you driving?

3 minutes ago, Safety First said:

fxt

Fierce! Most bang for buck. And in many ways best of both worlds.

Hi Muser, by chance you live around Bukit Batok? Spotted a red Legacy couple of weeks ago.... it's a rare sight indeed. Just got my white Legacy recently. And seriously thinking of getting a louder raspy exhaust. But checked w Garage R and they are not bringing any HKS yet for this model. 

Edited by Has177
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Has177 said:

Hi Muser, by chance you live around Bukit Batok? Spotted a red Legacy couple of weeks ago.... it's a rare sight indeed. Just got my white Legacy recently. And seriously thinking of getting a louder raspy exhaust. But checked w Garage R and they are not bringing any HKS yet for this model. 

Hi! Sorry, wrong Bukit. I live in the outskirts of Bukit Timah. Wow, glad to hear there's another red BN9 out there. BN9s are already rare, and red ones are even rarer. I've never seen another one, and before this I'd only heard of one other one. So now I know there are at least three of us on the road, lol. 

I also bugged Garage R about an HKS exhaust - preferably catback and not just axleback. Hopefully, this spurs them to give HKS some feedback on demand. 

Congrats on your new white ride! You bought brand new? Glad to have another rare BN9 around, hahah. Just PMed you about joining the Legacy BN9 WhatsApp group. 

Sure! Thanks! I've got a few friends driving Foresters and an Outback. But sadly no Legacy... 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Has177 said:

Sure! Thanks! I've got a few friends driving Foresters and an Outback. But sadly no Legacy... 

Great, I'll look out for your reply or your WhatsApp message then. Of course you have friends driving FNA/FXT, hahah. We probably all do since those models are so (deservedly) popular. I also have several Outback BS9 buddies, especially since the BN9 and BS9 share identical drivetrains, and almost identical suspension and interior trim, which makes sharing info and stuff easy. In fact, I'm using Outback 3D floor mats.