sneakgeek

Warranty void after visiting other workshop for servicing?

16 posts in this topic

Hi bros, i will be collecting my levorg at the end of this week. I have a few questions hoping seniors here can answer

1) After the 1k, 5k, 10k servicing, is it advisable to go back to MI for servicing?(heard they charge high price for normal servicing)  if i go to other workshop for servicing would it void my warranty?

2) Will changing exhaust void whole car warranty or only exhaust warranty?

MotorImage used to void warranty on the whole car for anything that you don't do with them.

Don't know if their policy has changed.

@sneakgeek for point 2 bro, quite straightforward to swap back to stock before going back to Motor Image for any warranty claims. doubt they will be able to know.

3 hours ago, Chua27 said:

@sneakgeek, i thought MI gives 3 or 5 years free servicing ?

Should be 3 free servcing (oil change) and 5 years warranty.

Motor Image shall not be obliged to honour any of the warranties stated in the booklet under any of the following circumstances:

• The vehicle has been repaired or serviced by someone other than Motor Image or its Authorised Service Centres.
  • Any parts not supplied or installed by Motor Image.
  • There are unauthorized upgrades, modifications or alterations to the original specifications or structure of the vehicle.
  • The vehicle is damaged through misuse, negligence, improper maintenance or accident.
  • The vehicle has not been given periodic maintenance as recommended by Motor Image in this booklet.
  • The damage is due to normal wear and tear.

Meaning they can void your warranty anytime for any reasons above.

Not 3 or 5 years free servicing.

Wawawa .... MI so neow nowadays ... mine comes with 5 years freee servicing and warranty.

On 28 July 2016 at 11:00 AM, Chua27 said:

Wawawa .... MI so neow nowadays ... mine comes with 5 years freee servicing and warranty.

Depends on which part of the year you bought. For most of this year, there's been no free servicing afaik. I didn't get any, beyond standard first 3 servicings. 

On 27 July 2016 at 5:48 PM, ssgt said:

• Meaning they can void your warranty anytime for any reasons above

Technically, MI can ngiao you as much as it wants to, and its default position is already more ngiao than the competition, but in practice it depends on heng/stay and how insistent you are (sometimes you have to put your foot down if you know you're being reasonable while they aren't), plus even when they ngiao, they tend to void specific portions of your warranty and not the whole thing. 

23 hours ago, muser said:

Technically, MI can ngiao you as much as it wants to, and its default position is already more ngiao than the competition, but in practice it depends on heng/stay and how insistent you are (sometimes you have to put your foot down if you know you're being reasonable while they aren't), plus even when they ngiao, they tend to void specific portions of your warranty and not the whole thing. 

Have you had your 3 year warranty void for your new car cos you fixed some parts at other workshops?

14 hours ago, ssgt said:

Have you had your 3 year warranty void for your new car cos you fixed some parts at other workshops?

No (or rather, norchyet), though MI threatened to void specific parts of my warranty before. Eg, when I wanted to bring my own non-approved engine oil, they threatened to void my engine warranty. Another bro inquired about changing wheels, and MI threatened to void wheel bearing warranty. So it seem to be quite targeted voiding of specific parts of your warranty - not one shot void everything. Do note that you're still required to service your car at MI regularly for your warranty to be honoured.

19 minutes ago, muser said:

No (or rather, norchyet), though MI threatened to void specific parts of my warranty before. Eg, when I wanted to bring my own non-approved engine oil, they threatened to void my engine warranty. Another bro inquired about changing wheels, and MI threatened to void wheel bearing warranty. So it seem to be quite targeted voiding of specific parts of your warranty - not one shot void everything. Do note that you're still required to service your car at MI regularly for your warranty to be honoured.

You plan to continue your servicing with MI after the 10k? my free servicing also until 10k only.

35 minutes ago, sneakgeek said:

You plan to continue your servicing with MI after the 10k? my free servicing also until 10k only.

Haven't decided yet. Many people like to pretend that MI's warranty is worthless but if anything breaks, I'd like to be able to fall back on it. Some people also say that the money saved by servicing at an outside workshop will cover the cost of anything breaking. Maybe if something breaks after 5 years or 10 years, and even then only if it's not major (CVT spoil? That one can break the bank). But what if something breaks after 2 or 3 years? Eg, what if you have excessive engine oil consumption that requires short block replacement? I'm sure that would be costly. Plus our cars have more electronics than ever, and nothing breaks down as fast as electronics. So I'm leaning towards servicing with MI until at least my car's 5th birthday.

But when I think about the freedom to use any engine oil I want, and improve my car's safety, comfort and performance, I admit I'm very tempted to forgo the warranty and go with an outside workshop. Skills, experience and diagnostic equipment aside, it's clear to me that outside workshops are better for our cars (eg, better oil) and better for us (eg, better horns and better brakes mean better safety), if not necessarily better for our pockets. I also value being able to see my car being worked on. So, you see, a bit hard to decide.

You leh? What you plan to do after 10k?

My Legacy BL9 is reaching the end of its life. After the settling in period & 5k, it was "bye bye" to MI. 

Never regretted.............

50 minutes ago, SubaThrill said:

My Legacy BL9 is reaching the end of its life. After the settling in period & 5k, it was "bye bye" to MI. 

Never regretted.............

Thanks for sharing your experience. So, you never had to replace any parts that would have been covered under warranty?

Which workshop did you go to, and why, please? BKS? BMS?

2 hours ago, muser said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. So, you never had to replace any parts that would have been covered under warranty?

Which workshop did you go to, and why, please? BKS? BMS?

Nope. Nothing under warranty. 

Many pro-subaru friendly workshops around. Those you mentioned are decent. I've been using another.

On 8/2/2016 at 8:21 PM, SubaThrill said:

Many pro-subaru friendly workshops around. Those you mentioned are decent. I've been using another.

Care to share which pro-Subaru workshop you've been using, please? I think it would help everyone make an informed decision. Thanks in advance.