longdi

15'+ WRX CVT reliability

18 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

i believe there are several bro here driving the CVT. Collecting mine early next month.

Been reading up at various forum about the CVT. I believe performance wise it will meet my expectation.

The only concern is the reliability of the CVT due to the high torque produce by the engine. Any bro here have problem with the CVT yet? Does the drive train come with 3 or 5 years warranty?

I do know this this CVT is high torque version that is chain driven. Saw several people having problem with the CVT. Just curious to know how it perform in our climate.

Thanks!

You probably can't get (reliable) replies here as the W cvt is slightly different (info from nasioc) from FXT's hence new to prove, little W cvt owners and they probably don't visit this forum.

Peeps at nasioc mentioned can't hold high torque. Stop at stage 1-kinda upgrades for longevity.

Btw, why buy cvt :)

Thanks for your reply bro.

Manual is not even a choice for me because my co only have license for auto.

In fact if i wouldn't be able to buy this car if it does not come with auto.

Hopefully the CVT can take the torque if i keep the car stock. :-)

On 8/16/2016 at 9:34 PM, longdi said:
3 hours ago, longdi said:

There are CVTs not build to withstand heavy trashing. However, they come at a great price.

As to yours, if you are concerned, it would be quite certain that as long as car is kept stock, the torque will be within design and manufacturing perimeters. However, you might want to stay away from even stage 1 engine software / ECU upgrades, like re-flashing / piggybacks, and the likes of it. Until, ....... you find out further about the limits of the CVT, or upgrade path to strengthen it.

Haha. Of course, the R35 GT-R's transmission is designed to take the heavy beating ....... and it can be driven in full auto mode! Wife friendly!

2 hours ago, SubaThrill said:

Care to share what cvt is built to withstand high torque? Bros here will be thrilled to know :D

Ah, have you or any of your friends blown the VA cvt? With what torque did that happen? Would be good to share as well.

You mean to say the GT-R has cvt trans?

4 hours ago, lego said:

Care to share what cvt is built to withstand high torque? Bros here will be thrilled to know :D

Ah, have you or any of your friends blown the VA cvt? With what torque did that happen? Would be good to share as well.

You mean to say the GT-R has cvt trans?

Sorry. GT-R not on CVT. 

CVT transmissions can also be found on some Audi A4 models, on Chrysler’s Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass and Patriot, on Ford’s Hybrid Escape, on BMW Minis, on Mercedes-Benz Class Bs, on certain Honda Civic Hybrids, on Mitsubishi Lancers, and even on some Hybrid Toyota Camrys and Highlanders.

Of recent, I heard many new delivered Toyota Harriers were sent back for repairs for the CVT blown.

The most common problem related to CVTs, however, relates to their overheating.

Those CVT built to withstand higher torques are those with Chain driven, rather than belt driven.

the '15 WRx, have CVT still able to pull 268bhp.

Not all CVTs are the same. Can't make a sweeping statement. It depends on make/model and built of each transmission.

Whatever it is. If not sure, don't push it. Keep within recommended working parameters, as manufacturers have intended. Anything more, and it fails, don't blame the manufacturers. Hmmmm. Sounds ilke "Stock is best?" Hahaha. 

My apologies, I've to declare I've no direct experiences with CVT (yet!). This is what I kind of know (of course, I could be wrong, and stand corrected, if so). 

Main thing. Drive safe! Life is previous!

Me? I'm still a traditionalist at heart, and would enjoy driving a manual shifter!

Cheers!

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:09 AM, longdi said:

Thanks for your reply bro.

Didn't realize I haven't replied.

How's the paddle shift/CVT? What are the characteristics/behavior of the transmission :)

Hmmmm really wish that more informations can be share on the subaru CVT as I would wanna change my auto rex to the new CVT rex.

On 8/24/2016 at 6:16 PM, lego said:

Didn't realize I haven't replied.

How's the paddle shift/CVT? What are the characteristics/behavior of the transmission :)

The paddle shift is very responsive. I find the CVT to be pretty good.

8 hours ago, nav1 said:

Hmmmm really wish that more informations can be share on the subaru CVT as I would wanna change my auto rex to the new CVT rex.

Hi bro, initially i do have some doubt about the CVT reliability. However, after driving it for several days, i think it is not some thing to worry about. The car is so powerful that there is not much chance to use to its full potential in Singapore road. I do not really race the car, not using the max torque and power frequently. So probably not going to stress the CVT too much and cause problem.

If you want to mod for more power and go race in circuit, then CVT reliability might be a concern.

Thank you bro. You see, i am on my AT wrx, new back then. It really serve me very well. No problem at all for 8 yrs. Beside KW,  i basically have little mod on. ATF cooler, exhuast, and turbo timer, top bars..etc. No track, just some spirited drive occasionally.  Haven't  try a CVT b4.  Really really hope  it will serve as good as my current AT rex.  Cars are X these days, not like b4.

Talking to agent again this weekend. Hopefully the test drive will feel the same if not better. : !

Hi guys,

The new wrx- cvt cannot test drive. In fact All wrx can't test drive now. Hmmmmmm

I know there's little cvt in here, but just wondering can any bro here can let me sit in their car at least for the feel? Really appreciate if any bros here are willing to. Thanks in advance. hmmmm

Where is your location? I wouldn't mind to let you sit in my car. Can't let you drive it though. :-) PM me your contacts.

How's all your cvt coming along? Anyone mod their cvt ride? The community like so small in sgp unless the other side of the world.