Nobody

Suspension Help for BL9

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Bought my BL9 about 2 years ago and loving it. My work shop thinks the coilover set up it came with is failing because I complained about the noise and how uncomfortable/bouncy the ride is becoming. The shop suggested I switch to Bilstein shocks + springs since I never adjust the coilovers and it will be more comfortable. However, they said it will be quite expensive at $2K+ and I'm not sure I want to spend so much so...

I did some reading on Bilstein shocks for the BL9 and it's so confusing lol... There is JDM and non JDM, B6 and B8 and HD, then there is all kinds of springs to go along like STI Pinks or Teins or Corazon etc. Does anyone here have any recommendation for me? I would prefer something more comfortable and able to last about 3 years since that's when the car will be scrapped.

I found some links of Bilsteins for sale but not sure which is best... will I need to buy dust caps/hats/boots separately? Is the 2K+ price the shop quoted reasonable or should I just try to buy everything online?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BILSTEIN-SHOCK-ABSORBER-SET-FRONT-REAR-SHOCKS-2005-2009-SUBARU-LEGACY-B6-/272085504475?fits=Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALegacy&hash=item3f598f51db:g:6nsAAOSw3KFWeuO5&vxp=mtr

https://www.carid.com/2009-subaru-legacy-suspension-systems/?filter=1&manufacturers[]=665

https://www.carid.com/2009-subaru-legacy-suspension-systems/bilstein-b6-series-shocks-17170885.html

http://www.emnotek.com/p-4787-subaru-legacy-bilstein-hd-shocks-struts.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your shock absorbers are indeed really the cause of your problem -- and comfort is your priority -- why not consider stock Subaru shock absorbers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, XTSubaru said:

If your shock absorbers are indeed really the cause of your problem -- and comfort is your priority -- why not consider stock Subaru shock absorbers?

The car is pretty heavily modded and I would like to keep the ride height/stance of the current look. I don't mind the car being a little stiff, it's just a bit uncomfortable and very bouncy right now haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi,

My JDM BP5 came stock with bilsteins and sti pink springs, which are nice on smooth roads but I found it too hard for the bumpy roads I spend a lot of time on.

if u change from coilovers to bilsteins, u will usually need to get new top hats.

which work shop are u going to? Brand new B6/8 are abt sgd1200 locally, cash n carry. So add a few hundred for springs and a bit more for the top hats, then installation and alignment. Yep, 2k+ sounds right for new set.

send me your contact and i'll hook u up with our local BL/BP group. You may get more good advise there, and maybe pick up a used set to try out. Definitely costs less than 2k+

cheers

john

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

hi,

My JDM BP5 came stock with bilsteins and sti pink springs, which are nice on smooth roads but I found it too hard for the bumpy roads I spend a lot of time on.

if u change from coilovers to bilsteins, u will usually need to get new top hats.

which work shop are u going to? Brand new B6/8 are abt sgd1200 locally, cash n carry. So add a few hundred for springs and a bit more for the top hats, then installation and alignment. Yep, 2k+ sounds right for new set.

send me your contact and i'll hook u up with our local BL/BP group. You may get more good advise there, and maybe pick up a used set to try out. Definitely costs less than 2k+

cheers

john

Hey John,

Thanks, I'm currently going to BKS for all servicing and maintenance work. Do you have any suggestions for something with a comfortable ride but maintains a good ride height with 18" aftermarket wheels? I was actually fine with how the coilovers were when I first got the car, but now it's just way too bumpy/bouncy.

I will message you with my contact info, thanks. (just tried to message you but it says you can't receive messages)

Edited by Nobody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for some strange reason, I can't send PM either. WhatsApp me 96977O38

what coilovers are you on currently?

"comfortable ride" is subjective, so it's kinda hard to say.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

for some strange reason, I can't send PM either. WhatsApp me 96977O38

what coilovers are you on currently?

"comfortable ride" is subjective, so it's kinda hard to say.

 

 

It's some brand I've never heard of... API Racing I think. Will message you on whatsapp now, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can try D2 coilover, Kheong from BKS recommended that for my BP9, i bought a brand new set at 1.2k cash then exclude installation. you can adjust the damper hardness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

Not sure if you have already gotten your suspension kit. As subapower said, you can actually go with D2! I was on D2 myself, courtesy of  subapower! haha, but i felt that my needs were really addressed with shock absorbers. I'm on bilstein b6 with stock springs for my bp9. you can try b8 with lowered springs. 

B6 is comfortable enough but your ride maybe a little too high for your liking? im fine by it especially with the comfort it has to offer. b8 would give you a firmer ride with lowered height. If you still have your stock top mounts and springs , you could find yourself with a brand new b6 at a very reasonable price (definitely lesser than 2k all in). However if you dont have your stock set with you, thats where it gets tricky, as mentioned by John. Try to see if you can get it on the forum for a good deal. Bought stock bp9 suspension from the forum for a very good price.

I did mine at speedhaus at paya ubi. enquired around and they have the best price (all in) plus very good and friendly team. The customer service and friendship won me over. You could try:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now