urus83

Engine temperature goes up to 3/4 high

10 posts in this topic

Hi to all Bros & sis,

Seeking for your advice on my coe renewed gd5. Currently having issue on the engine temperature heating up issue. Whenever car travelled like some distance  from redhill to airport example back and forth, whenever car stop over the traffic light or caught in a slow moving jam the temperature raises. Suddenly The a/c don’t feel the cold but only fan blowing. But once the car start moving like within 100-200m onwards, temperature needle drop and everything is back to normal. What’s more confusing, both of the front fans are spinning. coolen mixed with water (30:70 ratio)topped constantly, in fact filled fully coolen tank. 

This happened after 1 replacement of passenger side fan (preowned) for the past 1 month. 

Now my questions are whether for to do as below?

1) is my fan replacement a failure as in the motor not working fan

or 

2) radiator issue such as radiator blockage piping

3) coolen quantities level such as to top full coolen instead

Really appreciate for your advice and suggestion. 

Thank you in advance 🙏🏻 !

You might want to ask your workshop to check on the the water thermostat. It might not be functioning properly.

I had a similar issue where the my water/coolant temps would rise when vehicle was moving slowly or stopped at traffic lights.

Once moving or engine revving(Even when stationary), the temp would come down.

Turns out the thermostat wasn't opening fully so coolant wasn't flowing freely to be cooled. Revving would then force more water through the small openning which resulted in the temps coming down.

After diagnosing, my workshop recommended just throwing out the thermostat without replacing.Never had that issue after that.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1. Since you seen the fans running, then shouldnt be that problem.
2. Coolant level not changing means you dont have leak/head gasket failure.

Leave your car idling and see the coolant reservoir from cold--> operating temp.
If the coolant level doesnt move, it could be thermostat/pump not functioning to circulate the coolant. 

Edited by unfair

7 minutes ago, nuts23 said:

You might want to ask your workshop to check on the the water thermostat. It might not be functioning properly.

I had a similar issue where the my water/coolant temps would rise when vehicle was moving slowly or stopped at traffic lights.

Once moving or engine revving(Even when stationary), the temp would come down.

Turns out the thermostat wasn't opening fully so coolant wasn't flowing freely to be cooled. Revving would then force more water through the small openning which resulted in the temps coming down.

After diagnosing, my workshop recommended just throwing out the thermostat without replacing.Never had that issue after that.

Replace the thermostat, dont delete it. 
Without thermostat, the car has a hard time getting up to optimal temp and the engine oil cannot perform properly during that time.

46 minutes ago, unfair said:

Replace the thermostat, dont delete it. 
Without thermostat, the car has a hard time getting up to optimal temp and the engine oil cannot perform properly during that time.

I too considered replacing the thermostat rather than throwing it out but in the end, peace of mind won.

What you can expect when you delete the thermostat:

- Engine taking a long time to warm up

- Fuel consumption going up slightly as car spends more time in the 'warm up' phase

- Engine oil temp might not be in optimal range depending on where you are driving. Singapore driving should be fine, NSHW, you will notice that your coolant and oil temps are lower than usual.

- Peace of mind knowing that the engine is very unlikely to overheat due to a stuck thermostat. It may still overheat due to other reasons like spoilt radiator fans, insufficient coolant, etc..

The last thing I wanted was an overheated warped aluminium engine block

Engine needs to warm up so that it gets to its desired temp asap. 

Running cold causes engine oil to not be able to perform correctly
Running rich wastes fuel
Extra fuel causes more carbon buildup --> Cat converter gets stressed

No thermostat will allow head gasket failure to go undetected for long time, maybe you get a good excuse to change out to new pistons in future.

The peace of mind is already provided by the temp sensor. Once it starts climbing you know something is wrong.

21 hours ago, urus83 said:

Hi to all Bros & sis,

Seeking for your advice on my coe renewed gd5. Currently having issue on the engine temperature heating up issue. Whenever car travelled like some distance  from redhill to airport example back and forth, whenever car stop over the traffic light or caught in a slow moving jam the temperature raises. Suddenly The a/c don’t feel the cold but only fan blowing. But once the car start moving like within 100-200m onwards, temperature needle drop and everything is back to normal. What’s more confusing, both of the front fans are spinning. coolen mixed with water (30:70 ratio)topped constantly, in fact filled fully coolen tank. 

This happened after 1 replacement of passenger side fan (preowned) for the past 1 month. 

Now my questions are whether for to do as below?

1) is my fan replacement a failure as in the motor not working fan

or 

2) radiator issue such as radiator blockage piping

3) coolen quantities level such as to top full coolen instead

Really appreciate for your advice and suggestion. 

Thank you in advance 🙏🏻 !

When your workshop replaced the passanger side fan, did they touch the coolant or anything that comes into contact with the coolant? Things like radiator hoses, radiator cap , etc.. Something else that you might have is air in the coolant system.

Your best bet would be to bring your car to a workshop experienced with Subarus. Do a search on this forum and you will find them. Better make it quick as overheating and aluminum engines blocks don't play nice.

Posted (edited)

On 5/2/2018 at 11:33 AM, unfair said:

Engine needs to warm up so that it gets to its desired temp asap. 

Running cold causes engine oil to not be able to perform correctly
Running rich wastes fuel
Extra fuel causes more carbon buildup --> Cat converter gets stressed

No thermostat will allow head gasket failure to go undetected for long time, maybe you get a good excuse to change out to new pistons in future.

The peace of mind is already provided by the temp sensor. Once it starts climbing you know something is wrong.

Hi bro unfair,

Sorry for the late response, last week i was posted working onsite with limited data connection. I have just sent in to workshop BMS, they have already removed the thermostat on my previous visit. Hopefully the issue will not be worsen as you stated. 

As for my stated issue, they have run a high pressure test on radiator and diagnosed there is leakage on bottom & top radiator hose. I have gotten them replaced and monitoring them, so far temperature still at safe level..

Thank you so much for your points and advise mentioned here!

Edited by urus83

On 5/2/2018 at 11:47 AM, nuts23 said:

When your workshop replaced the passanger side fan, did they touch the coolant or anything that comes into contact with the coolant? Things like radiator hoses, radiator cap , etc.. Something else that you might have is air in the coolant system.

Your best bet would be to bring your car to a workshop experienced with Subarus. Do a search on this forum and you will find them. Better make it quick as overheating and aluminum engines blocks don't play nice.

Hi Bro @nuts23,

You are right with the air in the coolant system. Due to tiny gap between the joint of the radiator hse, which causes coolant leakage. Possibly air has entered in whenever engine is not running. I have sent to BMS to resolve the overheating issue.

Thank you so much for your advise! really appreciate them!! 

8 minutes ago, urus83 said:

Hi Bro @nuts23,

You are right with the air in the coolant system. Due to tiny gap between the joint of the radiator hse, which causes coolant leakage. Possibly air has entered in whenever engine is not running. I have sent to BMS to resolve the overheating issue.

Thank you so much for your advise! really appreciate them!! 

Good to hear that the issue is resolved! Enjoy your drive!